Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:53:01 EST
From:         Craig Charles <Sendccmail@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Stripped drain plug solution?
Comments: To: vanagon@Vanagon.com

Hello,

I too am part of the stripped drain plug fraternity. I had a helicoil installed. Probably went in crooked, didn't solve the problem. Brought it to the VW dealer who tried "cleaning" it up. Still dripped. Brought it back he said the sealing surface is "pitted" and I need new case halfs or a short block. Obviously not. Here's what I'm thinking. I saw a product in IMPARTS, that catalogue of strange tools and imported items (ph 800-325-9043) that I think may work but I need your opinions. It's called an Oil Drain Valve ($17) "The valves are made from machined brass with a stainless steel ball that is round to within.001. and have teflaon sealing rings. A locking lever keeps the thing closed until you open it. Sizes to fit most cars. Seems to me I could intall this once permanently and just use the valve to change the oil. What do you think? Would this work? Also, what is permatex and would I have to add it to the pitted surface before having this valve installed? Any thought appreciated. Craig Charles (Driveway's a mess) 87 Westy gl