Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Nov 1998 01:06:25 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: RV REFRIGERATORS!
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Robert A. Alexander closed his note with: "So, rip those refrigerators out of your Westies, turn them upside down AND BURP THEM!"

Yet he began his note by saying "I have NO idea of what constitutes proper maintenance of RV refrigerators."

I have not spent years and years servicing lots of different brands and styles of absorption refrigeration systems. But I was really interested to read the second hand comments by this retired "C/Heating/Refrigeration Business operator" who 'routinely "serviced" RV refrigerators, yearly, by "burping" them!'

I did service and maintain my own Arkla Servel 3 and 4 ton gas fired air conditioners for many years in running a business I owned. I had to open those sealed systems to "remove non condensables" which is what their service manuals called it. (That REALLY works well.) I've had a number of RV's and removed and replaced a few absorption cycle refrigerators for various reasons. I used to enjoy reading service manuals much as some people enjoy reading romance novels. In other words, I'm not entirely green in this area. One furnace manufacturer made a little design change as a result of one of my many suggestions. So I've also been a pain in the rump to some nice people.

I'm not convinced that this "burping" by inversion for a few hours is always a good idea. In fact I've heard mixed reports about how that has affected RV refrigerators. I have heard a few reports about refrigerators that wouldn't work after doing it. Granted, they weren't these little Dometic units from Westys. I'm not certain that this suggestion is bad. As a matter of fact, I don't know how anyone outside of Dometic could be so darned certain. I like clarity, free lunches and simple solutions as much as anybody, but this simple solution sounds a little scary to me. But then, I could be wrong.

Anyone want to get an opinion from Dometic's technical department? John