Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 6 Nov 1998 12:41:01 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      ?? Strange noise update

Ok, I've followed someone's excellent suggestion to check the fuel pump, but it's humming away like an Accutron watch (for you old folks <g>). By listening through a tube, I've localized the noise to the crank pulley - oil pump area; however, listening to the oil pump with a stethoscope it sounds perfectly happy. Could this be a dry seal of some sort? Obviously I can't use the stethoscope on the crank pulley. :-/ Seems pretty clear at this point that at least the crank pulley will have to come off, but what should I be looking for at that point? Can't run it without cooling long enough for the noise to develop, unless I'm amazingly lucky...

thanks, david

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3