Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 7 Nov 1998 21:20:48 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: `Re: I'm getting taller Syncro Springs
Comments: To: Steve <sxs@concentric.net>, Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

This company will make what every I want - stiffer - weaker - taller - shorter... The rear springs are more expensive as they are more complicated. The front springs are just a simple coil so this is why I was quoted $100 US a corner.

I personally will go for the extra lift and the same stiffness.

At 23:28 11/6/98 -0800, Steve wrote: >My guess is that you will sacrafice suspension performance in exchange for >added ground clearance by doing this...and my guess would be that it would be >better to go with a softeer spring rate...but these are just guesses and i >can't defend them. I suspect that after you squeeze that taller spring into >the existing spring perches, your suspension will be too stiff and will top out >too easily. But this topic is not my best. :~) > >Will this company make stock length springs at a slightly stiffer spring rate? >same price i would guess, eh. >steve > > > >David Marshall wrote: > >> Volks, >> >> The insurance runs out on my Syncro Double Cab in a few days and I will be >> doing some p.m. on it before winter really hits hard. One of the things I >> will be doing is sending my front springs to a company to get them analysed >> and some new taller ones made up. Cost is about $200 US plus shipping for >> a pair of springs. Now this brings me to a few questions for the group. >> >> - Is anyone interested in a set of springs? >> >> If so: >> >> - How much lift would you want? >> >> The most common measurement in the survey that I did is 47.5cm (from the >> wheel center to the fender lip) static and 55.5cm fully extended. This >> leaves me to think that a static height of 51 or 52 cm would be about the >> max that one could do. This translates into a 3 to 4cm lift (1 1/4" to 1 >> 1/2") to leave some travel in the front suspension. >> >> - Should the rate remain stock or should they be stiffer? >> >> Any other considerations I should look into? >> >> -- David Marshall -- >> -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- >> -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- >> -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- >> -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- >> -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- > > >