Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 08:01:28 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@ELM.AZ05.BULL.COM>
Subject:      Continental Tires
Comments: To: "vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hello,

The Yokohama Y356 and Y370 have been discussed here at length. My '84 GL owner's manual and door jamb recommend 185R14 reinforced or 185R14 LT load range C. I have had both reinforced and LT tires on the Vanagon, and much prefer the reinforced over the light truck tires. The reinforced have a softer ride, are quieter, and don't "feel heavy." (I had skid problems in wet weather with Michelin XZX LT's way back when, but other LT tires might have better tread, so I don't consider this a factor.)

A week ago I replaced my old Michelin XZX reinforced with Continental Contac reinforced and they seem a little rougher on small bumps, and perhaps a little noisier on those bumps as well. There is no noise on smooth road though. The steering effort (manual) is much lower and suprisingly for Phoenix, I've had them in the rain already and they show no traction problems. The tread looks fairly typical passenger car highway style, and not the commercial vehicle style of many LT's.

They were $50 each at my local Discount Tire. Tire Rack sells them for $46. They will probably not be in stock at your favorite tire store, but they can easily be ordered from Continental; they are the only 185R14 metric reinforced they make.

I think that the load capacity is 1540. So if your Vanagon can use metric 185R14 reinforced, I would recommend that you consider these tires. ( http://continentaltire.com )

Mike '84 GL '58 BMW Isetta