Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 2 Nov 1998 11:31:11 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Problem with dealership service? Who to contact?
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

David writes in frustration: <<<<<<<< From: David Raistrick <keen@POLARIS.DIGITAL-GALAXY.NET>

I've not yet measured the current timing setting, as I found the base I thought would work won't. something about magnets not sticking to aluminum heads!:) Tomorrow, I'll have a machine shop fabricate what I shall need. We will be in contact with the owner of the dealership tomorrow, since the management of the serive department didnt want to take care if it. <<<<<<<<<

Buying tools is always cheaper than paying the dealer to not fix things ;^) For future reference, an outfit called ENCO is the cheapest place to buy machine tools, measuring tools, that sort of stuff. 1-800-USE-ENCO. I don't think they have a web page yet. I've bought tons of stuff from them, service is usually pretty quick. For example, standard magnetic base for about $13, 1" dial indicator, about $12 (from my '97 catalog).

On the indicator base problem, some globs of hot glue will secure the magnetic base anywhere you need it to stick. Just wipe any oil off the surfaces first. Pops off pretty easy when you are done. Works for me.

Good luck getting your money back from the dealer. Perhaps if you pointed out that they committed to writing the fact that they charged you for stuff you didn't actually get and pointed out to them, in a nice way of course, that this constituted fraud and your next stop will be the local district attorney, then maybe they will graciously offer you a refund and some free floor mats. Get someone else to take a peek at the parts in question before you destroy the evidence that can swear a statement and you've got them dead to rights. What they did is more than just incompetent, its criminal. Maybe they will give you a new Beetle to settle out of court? Hmmm, this is even better as a negotiating strategy, remind them that they are liable not only criminally but you can sue them for damages on top of that. The double whammy!

Regards,

Carl Turner