Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Nov 1998 13:37:35 -0500
From:         Patrick Hatcher <PHatcher@BIOPOP.COM>
Subject:      Westy incandescent  light problem
Comments: To: "vanagon list (E-mail)" <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to put my '85 Westy GL on the road (I think I've sold my other Van).

I'm doing the last minute "let's see what needs fixin'" before she gets licensed.

Anyway, only one of the three bulbs in my incandescent lamp (over the stove/water tank) works. Only one bulb has worked since I owned the van, (three months), but I just assumed that I had two bad bulbs.

Well, I bought two new bulbs and still only the first of the three bulb sockets work! I checked the new bulbs in all three sockets, and the first one is the only one that works (closest to the switch and on the left-hand side of the lamp).

I unscrewed the light from the ceiling, but there wasn't much play in the wire. I pulled the cardboard cover off the top and checked out the wiring. There was a red and black (hot and ground) wire going to the first socket, but only a red wire (the same one as the first) going to the other two sockets. All the wiring and metal parts looked like they just came off the shelf, no rust or corrosion anywhere!

I'm assuming this is some type of relay circuit, but I don't that much about electronics.

Anybody got any ideas what could be wrong?

TIA for all your help,

Patrick Radford, VA '85 Westy GL Vicki '86 Toyota Van LE (For Sale)