Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 01:53:50 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Pop Mechanics/AllData CDROM Vanagon Shop Manual
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

Someone mentioned on the list recently about the Vanagon shop manuals on CD- ROM available at AutoZone for about 20 bucks. I decided to check it out and here's what the dang deal is on them. There are several CD's available, volumes as it were with ranges of cars shop manuals contained on them. The Vanagon manual is on volume #4, 82-87 Mercedes through Volvo. Sounds too good to be true so far. Well, the catch is you have to call up Alldata to get a code number to unlock just one model car on the disk. So you get all Vanagon? Not so fast bucko! You get one year of that model. I unlocked 85 Vanagon for my 20 bucks. So I guess I don't get anything on Digifant injection system unless I pay some more money! They also have an option of getting all the VW tech bulletins available for extra cost. How much you ask? Hard to get that info until you have your credit card out on the automated phone system but heres the scoop on that. You can have the repair and diagnostic info for your original 20 bucks or you can get the tech bulletins for the 20 bucks. If you want to get both it costs you an extra $10.50. What the heck, in for a penny in for a pound so I gave the phone machine my credit card number and got the code number to unlock my disk with the tech bulletins. BTW, there is also an automated modem based registration but it couldn't dial my modem on either my desktop Win98 or laptop Win95 machines so I gave up and used the automated touchtone phone system. Handy thing to know is that if you use the modem system it requires you fill in all your personal data, name, address and so on (I typed in NoneofYourBusinessLane for my street address but the thing wouldn't even dial the phone to get out so no joy) With the phone registration all you need is your zip code and a phone number which probably doesn't have to be real. Better deal from a privacy standpoint anyway, IMO.

So what does the thing look like after all that trouble? I've just had a few minutes to scan through it but I think it may prove to be a worthwhile addition to the Vanagon repair library. There are detailed diagrams, photos, schematic diagrams in addition to text detailing how to diagnose problems and how to remove and replace components with torque values right there on the diagrams. Quality of the diagrams and photos is sort of average Fax Machine scanned resolution sort of artwork, not great, but good enough I think. From the tutorial there's supposed to be hyperlinks from the procedures to take you to related parts and procedures, and there are supposed to be fairly extensive troubleshooting trees, also with hyperlinks then to the appropriate repair sections but I haven't gotten to that in the actual Vanagon sections yet. I did scan through the cooling system stuff and it seems to have all the relevant info there about the sensors and such, gave a good troubleshooting summary of that damned blinking coolant light problem that seems to jibe well with the wisdom presented here on the list. I'm hoping other sections are equally well informed.

In the tech bulletins I just pulled up one on improving electrical contacts using something called Stabilant22 contact enhancer, complete with VW part number and instuctions to the mechanic on how to bill the hapless customer for the use of this Stabilant22! Generally it instructs the mechanic/monkey type creature to use the Stabilant on electrical connections before replacing any electrical component! Interesting! Something tells me that there is a strong disincentive to using this stuff versus replacing profitable ECU's for example but its a nice idea that they would, kind of like world peace.

(I think I will have to order up some of this Stabilant stuff when I go to order up that Lithium Hydraulic System grease that another list member discovered recently. )

Any questions about this CD thing I can answer for you just let me know. I'll be playing with it for the next few days for sure.

Regards,

Carl Turner 84 and 85 Westies. (That reminds me-No Westie info on this CD that Ive been able to find, just standard Vanagons)