Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:03:51 EST
From:         Carl Turner <CarlMarin@AOL.COM>
Subject:      AlldataCD?  Not so fast!
Comments: To: Vanagon@Vanagon.com

I've traded some notes with several of you privately about this Pop Mechanics/Alldata CD that I wrote a review of yesterday. I've also had a chance to spend a couple of hours with it this morning and get a better idea of what its about so I thought I would append my earlier remarks.

Basically my first impression of the disk was pretty good, but I think this impression was based largely on going through the tutorial on how the disk was going to work. As I got into more of the specific areas on the actual Vanagon section I found that it just wasn't there! The diagnostic troubleshooting "trees" described in the tutorial were nowhere to be found I'm afraid in the actual Vanagon sections. A disappointment. I also scanned all of the functional areas and found the depth of information somewhat lacking. No info on the gas tank and all of those seals for example. No engine removal procedure. Practically nothing on the transmission other than how much lube to put in it. (Todd Hill's business is safe!)

What I did find was decent little descriptions of things like how to reseal the heads with some pictures (reproduced from Bentleys). There is also little generic descriptions of how various components work, kind of laymens "how does the AFM work sort of things. There were a few details that I didn't recognize from Bentley's like hooking up the AFM to an oscilloscope and electrical specs on some obscure components.

Basically though, most of the interesting information I found that was not in the Bentleys was linked to the Tech Bulletins that cost the extra 10 bucks to turn on. I still think the technology of this disk is novel and kind of fun to play with but this one on the Vanagon specifically has a real "first generation" feel to it and as such is probably a bit lacking in hard core performance. Perhaps the Chrysler K car disk was better researched and put together?

Worth the 20 bucks? I think it probably was but its no substitute to the Bentley's. Anyone else out there with some experience with the Alldata CD? I'd love to hear someone elses take on it, perhaps some useful sections I haven't stumbled upon yet?

I can see that this is the future of shop manuals though. Publishing cost is just about zip compared to printing something like a Bentley's. I'm betting we'll see Bentley's on CD within 5 years though probably not on obsolete platforms like the Vanagon, alas :^(

Regards,

Carl Turner