Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:10:14 -0800
From:         Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Showers Redux
Comments: To: VW Bus Listserv <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I've been going through the archives and found many previous posts about showers - specifically, how to take one when you're out camping in your VW. The answers range from solar showers to ingenious interior re-piping jobs. Someone on the list had bought a shower from Zodi (http://www.zodi.com/) and was not too happy with it, mostly because the water container was too large to be heated on a Westie stove properly because the water tank was too big. Since then, apparently, Zodi has come up with a new model (called the "Extreme SC", http://www.zodi.com/extremesc.html ) which includes the water container, a hose, a shower head, and a propane heater. I inquired about this model via email at their web site for further specifications, as I would like to have the ability to shower in the boonies if the need (or desire) arises.

My original questions appear in [brackets]. The info is from a Zodi representative:

_____________________________

Hi Chris

The Extreme SC is an excellent choice.

[How much water does the tank hold?]

The tank holds about 2.5+ gallons, which will provide a 5 - 6 minute non stop shower.

[What are the dimensions of the tank?]

The size is about 8" diameter and about 20" high. The stove breaks down to a very compact size when not in use. The stove is also designed to be used as a cooking stove.

According to their web site, this model costs about $140. Pretty steep for a shower, I guess, but it's one way to guarantee yourself a hot shower at the end of a day's travelling.

I also saw a few discussions (in the archives) about making "shower stalls" in the wilderness. Wouldn't it be a relatively easy thing to install 4 or so hooks at the cardinal points on the inside of the rear hatch door, then attach some sort of material with eyelets or a tarp to the hooks, which would hang down when the door is opened?

Chris '88 Westie, "Rozinante" Los Angeles, CA