Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 20:49:47 -0600
From:         Ken Korn <kkorn@JUMP.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bad Experience With Bus Depot (long)
Comments: To: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@vol.com>
Comments: cc: "vanagon@VANAGON.COM" <vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

On Thursday, November 12, 1998 8:01 PM, Robert A. Alexander [SMTP:satcong@vol.com] wrote: > I would LOVE to have been a "fly on the wall", though, when you were > telling the reputable mechanic at Motor Technology Inc., Racine, WI > about how you were going to order the parts he was going to use to > repair your Vanagon! Might I suggest that you probably should have left > that mechanic alone to use his own judgement in repairing your van?

Not a problem. He had tried to get one from his usual suppliers without success. Even a new crank from VW was not available in the US (at over $1000). He actually placed the order with Bus Depot.

> > Do you have access to a fax machine? > > I am curious, though! What was the difference in the price for the > crankshaft from The Bus Depot and from Custom Crankshaft Repair?

The CCR crank was about $400. The BD crank was supposed to be $56, but as my mechanic said, what kind of quality can you expect for that price when a good machinist charges $50/hour?