Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:32:13 -0800
From:         Steve <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: which catalytic heater?
Comments: To: CarlMarin@AOL.COM
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The short answer is that the 3000btu, in my experience, is adequate and even preferable for camping where the lows don't get much below25 degrees at night, although i have camped down to 5 degrees with it and never got cold. There are lots of variables at play here like how warm you like it, where it will be mounted, will you be using the poptop, will you insulate your windows, etc.

I use the plat cat in the portable configuration i have described before with the heater typically sitting on the front table up against the steering wheel when camping. the thing to keep in mind with these is that they give off radiant heat...they heat the objects in the van, not the air...hence by having it back against the steering wheel i heat more of the bus than if i had it mid ship. I like the small size...this is a real plus for me. when its really cold, it runs full time...and this is actually more efficient than having lots of off and on cycles and provides more constant and steady supply of heat....like a little pot belly stove. If i had the 6000 btu, i suspect it would get too hot too quick to do this...and there would be lots more on off cycles...whichj draw a lot more current than constant operation and provides less even heat...hold...then cold then hot, etc. Harold and the others who have the 6000 btu can tell you whether this is in fact a problem at more moderate outside temps.

When i got mine, i ran it off of the main starter battery and in two years of use never ran the battery all the way down to red...it draws .50 amp. (which is 1/3rd the power draw of the propex) and it is cheap to leave the 3000 btu running all the time...as it burns only 1/8 a pound of fuel an hour...so if you hook it up to the main tank you could run it for 80 hours continuously. the 6000 uses twice as much fuel.