Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 13 Nov 1998 21:14:27 -0500
From:         "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Hydrogen powered?/FRIDAY
Comments: To: Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Michael - I've had it with these confounded hydrocarbon-based engines! My '85GL is into its second week of refitting with what I hope to be a real hydrogen powered engine that will not only produce gobs of pollution-free power, BUT will produced vast quantities of potable drinking water at the same time!!!

I "lucked" into buying a Russian fuel-cell unit via a buddy of mine who works for NASA at Cape Canaveral! Apparently, it was intended to make the trip to the Russian "space station", but the Russians have decided to abandon the station next year. It cost me $6,000. The damn thing weighs only 200# and is capable of a continuous output of of 224VDC with a power rating of 55KW and anything inbetween, depending upon hydrogen flow!!! It doesn't take much to realize this is a potential of about 250 amps of current!

I found a dc motor, capable of 60HP at 200-250VDC, online from a supplier, for about $3000, including shipping. I sent the specs to Joel Walker, who is, I hope, busy fabricating the S.S. plate to mount the dc motor to my Vanagon transmission. It WILL be a treat to NOT have to worry about using a clutch, though!!!

The only problem I'm having, for now, though, is a dependable source of hydrogen and the device which "chops" the voltage for acceleration purposes! I just knew I should have bid on one of the all-electric vehicles the TVA were using in their research projects about 10 years ago! Their units were capable of handling about 30KW and they let several of the vehicles go for $1000!!! Methinks the "chopper" unit will run me that much or more.

Hydrogen sources are even more interesting, though. My current interest is with NaH, or Sodium Hydride. The US Military uses canisters of CaH, Calcium Hydride, in their portable hydrogen generators for field launches of hydrogen balloons for, uh, weather readings. But, NaH seems to be so much more efficient! "Powerballs", http://www.powerball.net/inside/density/index.html , has been most helpful in their quest to find serious folks who have the ability to publicize the advantages in utilizing their product.

Westfalia dudes/dudettes ought to be especially interested in my project! Just the potable, pure water generation should shake their grates! Hell, one of my clients had his pickup truck converted to burning propane about 15n years ago. He just had the engine rebuilt last month and tells me the mechanic was amazed that there was NO carbon buildup with his engine!!! As nasty as propane is, can you even imagine just how non-polluting hydrogen-burning would be???

BOB - WA4RRN '85GL http://www.impeachment.org