Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Nov 1998 21:33:39 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Bus routes: most scenic bypasses.
Comments: To: type2@type2.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

On a recent type2 thread Carl wrote:

> taking the roads less traveled...i have special 'bus routes'

So what are some of these bus routes? I'd love to hear from other people what and where their favorite routes are?

Here are some of mine:

From ENY or WMA to New Haven or thereabouts:

Skip I91, exit I90 and travel Rte 8 south through the Litchfield hills. Goes next to the upper Farmington river (creek size), which has excellent class III-IV padling at high water. In Mid CT the small 2 lane road actually turns suddenly into 4 lane expressway, but still goes through a beautiful valley.

From WNY to the southern tier: There are several ways of avoiding I390 and I81.

The westermost bypass is Rte 15A. Exit I390 in the town of Rush. You'll drive through a couple of villages in the first 10mi, (avoid school bus time if time matters), then you'll pass between the westernmost finger lakes, Hemlock and Canadice. Great views from the hill above lake Hemlock (but a slow ascent with the bus). Rejoin I390 near Wayland, NY. Or stop for some motor boat free paddling in Hemlock lake and the inlet.

The next bypass goes through finger lakes heartland next to Canandegua lake. See wineries, Tughanok (sp) falls, and breathtaking views of the lake. Exit I90 to Rte 14, take Rte 96 south until Ithaca, then 96B. After Ithaca the road parallels Catonk creek, with easy class I paddling, until it joins Rte 17 (future I86) at Owego). Rte 17 is unusually nice for being a 4 lane.

The third and shortest north-south bypass in NY state. Exit I90 to Rte 5/20 just west of Montezuma wildlife refugee. Go Rte 5/20 east (stop at the refugee if desired, great bird viewing. Unfortunately no canoeing except for in the Seneca river. Can't disturb the birds). Take Rte 41 south at the village of Skanatles, just on the north end of Skanatles lake. Town square has beatutiful water views! Visiting these small finger lakes villages always makes me wonder why I put up with living in sucky cities. Continue along the east lake shore while steadily gaining elevation up to the ridge at the south end of the lake. The top is worth a stop to catch the birds view of the whole lake and the village in the distance. Join I81 south about 20 miles north of Binghamton.

West - East: Note that glacial ridges run north south in upstate NY. Any west east route is likely to be steep/slow, exept that the major through fares were built on the most level ground. From north to south they are: Rte 104: Ok but not breath taking, I90: Dull unless you enjoy counting 18 wheelers and SUV's. South of this is the hills and the next one, Rte 17 is in southern NY, and quite nice by my standards.

Two short level east west bypasses: Rte 5 along the Mohawk river (beautiful river views). The nice part starts just west of Schenectedy, but how to get there without driving though the endless stoplights between Albany and Schenectedy I don't know. I tried once to bypass the capitol region north (I787 to Troy) then west and south, but that took as long)

Rte 370 between I90 (I690) and Rte 104: Just a quiet two lane road, nothing special but a break from the 18 wheelers.

One hilly: I84 to Rte 52 to Rte 17. This takes at least an hour more than direct I84 to 17, but is worth it for any one of: The bakery in Ellenville; stock up on the coffee rings or their raising pumpernickel bread. Shawagunks: Unique pine barren reserve on the ridge, the ice caves, and best climbing in the east. Rte 52 is also a good gateway to the Catskills should one wish to spend more time.

Now let me hear where your favorite bus routes are!

Happy VW-ing! Martin -- Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------