Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 14 Nov 1998 23:34:39 EST
From:         Brad Spear <SSGSPEAR@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 88 Westie: Headlight Out - How to replace?
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 98-11-14 22:27:32 EST, cp@IX.NETCOM.COM writes:

<< I'm not sure I was given correct information, and having bought the car without the owner's manual, I can't get any info on the procedure for changing the light out. So:

<<In an '88, is it true that you replace only the filament, and not the entire headlight?>> Yes, this is true. Fortunately, too, since these things are not cheap.

<< Is it necessary to remove the grill in order to put a new headlight in, or how exactly can the headlight be reached for replacement?>> Yes, it is. There are five things that look like slotted screws along the top of the grill. You will need to take a flat tip screw driver and turn each 90 degrees. This will release the top of the grill. Just lift it out after that. Reverse to install.

<<Btw, the headlight will light up when I put the brights on, but it goes dark when only the normal beams are on, if that's pertinent.>> There are two elements in each bulb, one for the low beam and the other for the high. This just means that the one for the low beam is out.

You will need to take out the main glass part, the housing, to replace the bulb. This is held in place with four phillips screws. Remove the screws, remove the housing, remove the old bulb, install the new one making sure you don't touch it with your fingers unless you want to do this again in the very near future, replace the housing, the screws, then the grill. Make sure that when you remove the screws you are removing the ones that hold the housing and not the ones that are used to adjust the aim of the headlights.

Also, when mine went out, I replaced both. I figured that they had both been in there about the same amount of time and while I had the grill off anyway, why not?

Any help appreciated. I don't want to have to rename Rozinante to Polyphemus. >>