Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 9 Nov 1998 20:55:04 +0000
From:         Eric Pickering <mv_54@OMALP1.OMERESA.OHIO.GOV>
Subject:      Open Container Responses
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi all, Well, here is a collection of the repsonses I got since many seemed interested. My question arose after I cleaned out my Westy, found a half empty (or half full :-) ) bottle of whisky I had forgotten about, and realized I had been driving around with it for months. Yes it was in a closet but I do know there are officers out there that like to push things and search w/o reason (not all of them, just the ones that would pull me over). It seems it can be risky just about anywhere although it shouldn't be. I think I'll try to not keep stuff in there and if I do maybe I'll stuff it up in the hole in the engine compartment. Enjoy!

ERic

I'm surely no cop, but in nearby WV, a broken seal on a bottle equals an open container. That is a generally good way to think about it, because for all the po-po knows, you could be hitting the JD out on the expressway and keeping it cool in the fridge.

Good idea: have a stiff cup-a-joe, walk it off, sober up, and don't screw up driving. Don't give the popoman reason to search the van in the first place. You should be cool. :-D

Sam

I believe that if your are parked in a location where you can say you are using your Westy as a home, it falls under the law that pertains to homes. But if you are just parked on a street, or driving, or in a circumstance where it would be classified as a vehicle, you are subject to motor vehicle laws. To avoid problems, try to always stay prudently and obviously on the safe side of any gray judgment area between there different uses. In most states your Westy is classified as a "Motorhome." As as such, if you live in it for the required number of days per year to comply with IRS rules, you could deduct interest payments on it just as you could for another home.

There will be an unending stream of ignorant police who are uninformed about your rights as a home owner when you are using your Westy as a home. So the best plan is to avoid their unfair and too often ignorant treatment. They deal with really nasty people every day, so they develop abrasive ways as a survival mechanism. That doesn't forgive them, but it helps to understand how they got that way.

All the best to you, John

in the state of alabama, the laws were toughened up a while back. ANY opened or open (opened means the seal is broken) bottle or container is prima facia evidence of driving under the influence, EVEN if you are sitting still in a parking lot with the ignition switched OFF. fer real.

now, i believe there are provisions for "motor homes" and "recreational vehicles" ... to let the rich-ass campaign-donating winnebago crowd off the hook at football games, as long as the container is "stored" in a kitchen cabinet or refrigerator. however ... that means you have to get your Westy registered as a "motor home", and not a "passenger van". and i'm NOT sure exactly what the provisions entail. :(

but if the cop is prissy and wants to be a prick, and you are stopped, engine off, engine cold from sitting overnight, and you have ONE opened container of alcoholic beverage ANYwhere inside the bus, he can write your ass up and take you off to jail.

yes, it's a stupid interpretation of the law, but until a judge hears about it, you're gonna be booked and kept overnight in the slammer.

and no, it hasn't made much of a difference in the drunk-driving wrecks and deaths ... only in the harassment of people who get stopped for something else. :(

so if you drive through the state of alabama, do NOT give the cop any reason to stop you. state troopers are not nearly so bad as the local city cops, who depend on the tickets for revenue!!!! and lots of small towns run speed traps, where the speed limit drops from 55 mph to 25 mph in about 200 FEET.

joel

A law officer would have to have probable cause to search your vehicle, such as alcohol on your breath or your smelling like MJ , etc. If you have not drunk anything before driving, you should not have a problem as long as the alcohol is closed/capped and stored out of reach/sight of the driver/passengers. This is no different than having a half empty bottle of wine in a bag in the back seat or trunk area. If you have not been drinking then you have nothing to worry about (breathalyzer would be neg.). Best advice is not to drink and drive-drink and sleep in your van/westy!

Also word of warning-I heard that in Ontario, CA., police can search your car without probable cause. Let me know if I'm wrong.

AND... does it make any difference whether or not the van is registered as a motorhome or passenger car?

I've looked into this a bit and couldn't find any definitive answers. I'm betting it varies greatly between states. Probably the best place to ask about such laws would be an RV group or dealership. I'm sure many RV people have had to deal with this before.

I guess the answer depends on whether the law defines the Westfalia as a Camper or Mobil home!!

I am no lawyer, but in California, the law on open containers prohibits any driver or passenger in a "moving vehicle" from drinking while the vehicle is moving. Also, it is a violation of the law to store any alcoholic beverage which is opened or has a broken seal or partially empty in the same contiguous areas occupied by the driver. (ie. storing opened container in the trunk is ok) And of course the kicker here is that this paragraph of the law do not apply to the "living quarters" of a camper or motor home. So convince the CHP your Westy is a motor home! but then you'll have to pay the motor home fee rate when you go to a camp site.. got to be consistent about this you know!!

Many many years ago, when I rented a winnebego motor home to tour the country, I was given a pamphlet by the rental company explaining the importance of keeping all open alcohol containers in the designated "kitchen cabinets" in the "living quarter" of the dumb bus..being an FOB at that time, it made absolutely no sense to me...

Yau-Man Chan

I'm not a lawyer, but know that this law varies from state to state. Some states are fairly relaxed, (Driver cannot currently be drinking from a booze bottle when the officer approaches the window). Others are more strict, like North Carolina, where you cannot even mention the name of an alcoholic beverage while within 50 feet of a motor vehicle.

Actually, last time I checked, NC allowed open containers in a vehicle, but they could not be in reach or able to be passed to the driver, or something like that...which basically meant, unless you drive a cement mixer and insist on your drinking passengers ride in the tumbler, you could be in trouble.

Check with your DMV, and (from someone who almost met St. Pete 'cuz of a drunk driver), don't even think about drinking and driving. Thanks. :)

G. Matthew Bulley

Yes, the State you are in will matter, as each State has its own laws.

In Indiana: There is no distinction between vans, cars, R.V.s, etc. Open containers are permissible in Indiana so long as the driver has a less than 0.04 BAC (0.10 BAC is limit for operating while intoxicated, but most states have now gone to 0.08). It is NEVER permissible for the driver to drink. (This law is only several years old--until about 1995, it was perfectly legal for the driver to drink while driving, so long as the driver was not drunk.) Again, there is no prohibition against an open container (even passenger drinking is legal), if the driver is less than 0.04. There is really no distinction between an open container in a closet or a passenger's hand.

I am certain that Ohio is much more strict, but I do not know the exact law.

Additional Indiana insight:

Indiana was very slow to enact an open container law because many legislators in Indianapolis like to travel to Bloomington to watch IU football and basketball. Every time an open container law was proposed, attempts were made to amend the law to exempt 8 passenger vans, ect., so that "party vans" en route to IU games would be legal. The proposed laws would eventually fail. In response to this, many cities, towns or counties enacted their own ordinances against open containers. Finally, the legislators reached the compromise that passenger drinking was ok, so long as the driver was clearly sober. Every year new laws are proposed which would tighten the open container law, and /or lower the legal limit to 0.08 BAC. So far, they have been unsuccessful.