Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 1998 19:39:57 -0500
From:         jhlauterbach <jhlauterbach@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      REPAIR SAFETY - COOLANT LEVEL SENSOR (LONG)
Comments: To: Vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I want to relate an experience with my '84 DL that I had Saturday evening. I had the van in my garage and it had been idling about 15 minutes or so as I was checking the throttle microswitch setting. I had put the engine cover back on and had put away most of my tools when I heard a pop and hot coolant came streaming down from the van. I made a run for the ignition switch and turned the engine off. When the steam cleared, I opened up the engine compartment expecting the worst. What I found was quite surprising. The coolant level sensor had blown out of the expansion tank. I had had my mechanic replace the tank, the pressure cap, and the sensor about two months ago. When I inspected the sensor, the second thread from the top was flat on both sides, and the third thread was deformed. I installed the original sensor, replaced the lost coolant, and installed the old pressure cap. Van tested out okay. Test drove yesterday for about ten miles and took it to work today. No problems.

I always wear my safety glasses while working in the garage. However, if I had been working on the van when the sensor popped out, I don't think anything but a pair of goggles and face shield would have helped much. I have worked in chemical labs for over 30 years, but never had something go up the way the coolant did.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

John Lauterbach Macon, GA