Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:36:10 -0800
From:         David Thompson <David.Thompson@EDWARDS.AF.MIL>
Subject:      Re: Having an annoying problem with my 85 GL.
Comments: To: mwilliamson@ABCH2O.COM, Vanagon@vanagon.com

I have an intermittant problem similar tothe one described below. With (of course) a twist... With no consistent operating conditions (outsite temp etc.). My Van will fade from a chipper cruise at highway speeds (4000 rpm) to a weak 2800 rpm (or so), until I turn the ignition key off and immediately restart the motor. The van will then either do the same thing again instantly, in 5 minutes, or in 5000 miles. Of course it never manifests when I take it to a mechanic, except once: It started to do it consistently and the O2 sensor tested bad so it was replaced. It worked for awhile but then the problem came back. I was then sad. Is there any way I can tell if it's the cat? What soleniod is the writer below referring to? Is there a way that I can tell if this item is the problem? Any other suggestions? I have to assume this is a common problem because the same thing happened with my old '86 Syncro Westfalia. The car was totalled, so it became a non-issue in that case.... I'd hate to have to resort to this fix again!

David Thompson david.thompson@edwards.af.mil 1990 Syncro Westfalia

>>> "Mark A. Williamson" <mwilliamson@ABCH2O.COM> 11/16 1:55 PM >>> I once experienced something similar with my 88 Wolfsburg Weekender. For me, it turned out that the catalytic converter has become "clogged" due to inadequate combustion of fuel. This led to the inability of the cylinders to vent properly after the combustion cycle and the on-board computer sensed a pressure high enough to make it think that the cylinders were "full" and no fuel was injected for the next combustion cycle. The engine would not completely stall however, because the next cycle fuel WOULD be injected and combust- to a point. When, ultimately, back pressure could not be vented adequately the engine "died." I replaced the catalytic converter and the problem was gone and has not returned.

The fouled catalytic was (apparently) caused by a solenoid that crapped out (intermittently), leading to unburned fuel gunking up the catalytic converter. The ignition problem was corrected shortly before the catalytic converter problem arose, as I though that the ignition system concern would cure the "total" problem. It turned out to be only half the problem.

Summary/Suggestion(s): Check that fire is being delivered to the spark plugs (correct frequency/timing and voltage). If correct, the back-pressure may be building up and causing the "brain" to think the cylinders are full of fuel. Then, the catalytic converter may be fouled. I am not sure if simply check the compression on a cylinder will clarify this potential condition, as the compression test will not distinguish between fuel and burnt fuel.

Mark Williamson Denver, CO 88 Wolfsburg Weekender