Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 1998 21:33:11 -0500
From:         "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Selecting a CB?
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

I'll second David's recommendation, with reservations! The BIG problem with low-priced CB radios is the quality of audio! If you buy one of the really small units, buy one that has an external speaker jack! A cheap, plug-in, speaker from Radio Shack will make all the difference in the world concerning actually understanding what one hears from CBs!

Do not know what Canadian "ham radio" laws are like, but, here in the States, one can get a "no-code" ham radio license WITHOUT learning the International Morse Code, enabling one to utilize "repeaters" located throughout the USA, for RELIABLE 30-70 mile communications with less power used than a CB!!! I can drive from the Chattanooga area to friends' homes in South Florida and NEVER be out-of-range of a repeater, and the ability of utilizing the "touch-tone" feature to make telephone calls from my Vanagon! THIS is really the way to go, compared to the foul-mouthed CB frequencies.

BOB - WA4RRN '85GL http://www.impeachment.org

ps-IF you're willing to take the time to learn the International Morse Code, you can utilize the HF frequencies of Ham Radio to talk all over the world while Vanagoning! I spent three hours talking to an Israeli HAM during my trip taking my five daughters to South Florida back in July!