Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:27:23 -0800
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Experience with adding addtional lights
Comments: To: vanagon mail list <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I recently acquired an 89 vanagon camper, and I wanted to add some fog and driving lights. After spending a lot of time looking on the internet, I decided to get a set of Hella XL auxillary low beam lights. These lights seem to be pretty unique in that they were not "high-beam only" lights that I wouldn't have been able to use most of the time where I drive, and they were also not "fog light only" lights that also could only be used some of the time. These lights work with your low beam lights and can be kept on at all times. They do a good job of adding a noticeable amount of additional light and they don't seem to bother other drivers. They were somewhat of a pain to install since I found I had to take off the front spoiler and bumper to completely hid the wires (only necessary if you are picky) and the battery is not in the easiest place to get to. I've ordered the factory VW fog light switch ($17) to finalize this project, although the switch that came with the light set works and looks fine. I would recommend these lights to anyone who wants to see better at night and that wants additional lighting that they can actually use all of the time. I haven't tried these in fog yet, but the low and wide pattern is supposed to be similar to what you would get with a dedicated fog light. These lights are actually cheaper than adding a decent set of both fog and driver lights, or a good set of combo fog/driving lights. A description of these lights can be found at http://www.macneilauto.com/Hella.htm . These lights range from $120 to $200 or more on the web. I ordered from http://www.savannajones.com/hella1.htm ($120) and got the lights in under a week. They are not kidding about the 100% improvement. Good support from Hella's USA office also. I had a question about the switch and called them. They ended up fed-ex'ing me a replacement switch (not needed, the original was fine) the next day at no charge.

CaveRat

'89 Vanagon GL Camper (caveinn)

[text/html]