Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:21:54 EST
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@IBM.NET>
Subject:      Re: importing a van from canada part deux

** Reply to message from DOINKS99@AOL.COM on Tue, 17 Nov 1998 16:46:29 EST

The "passive" restraining system was a terrible compromise which the US gov't allowed/required in lieu of airbags during the airbag phase-in period. The requirement was a restraint that the passenger didn't have to apply by hand. Usual systems were: Shoulder belt attached to door, manual lap belt; Shoulder belt attached to motorized car above door frame, travelled forward when you open the door and aft when you close it -- and a manual lap belt; and (VW!) Shoulder belt attached to door, knee bolsters instead of lap belt. None of these methods are anywhere near as safe as a standard 3-point belt properly applied, and I personally am enraged that my own safety is compromised in an effort to force people to wear belts. The irony is that for perfectly legitimate reasons, all those shoulder belts have an emergency release at the top, so people who don't want to wear them simply unhook them at the top end! Grrrrr!

As far as converting from standard to one of these abortions, It would be hard -- the door has to be strengthened and special catches put into the B-pillar and the belt reels have to go in the middle of the car instead of at the sides. I think the motorized kind would be impossible.

David

David Beierl <dbeierl@ibm.net> 401 274-5827 voice, -6349 fax OS/2 V4, FP7, JVM 1.1.6, JSM 98.6.3