Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:58:27 EST
From:         S Sittservl <Ssittservl@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Westfalia alternative (was Re: A Ford Westy)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> Date: 98-11-17 19:17:36 EST > From: Ari@OLTECO.COM (Ari Ollikainen) > > >Date: 98-11-17 18:16:04 EST > >From: Douglas_M_BENSEN@UMAIL.UMD.EDU (db25) > > > >Check out www.gtrv.com to see a Ford E-150 converted into a Westy similar > >to ours... > > Interesting...I always wondered why a decent copy of a VW camper > couldn't be created in a BigThree van body...

The nicest alternative I've seen to a Westfalia is the Sportsmobile. They have a straight-up pop top on a full size or extended Dodge, Ford, or GM van. They have about 40 "standard" floor plans, but they'll do a custom layout at no extra charge. I haven't seen one "live", but from the pictures and reviews it looks like first class work. The company's been since the 1960's - they actually did the first pop-top conversions of VW busses (and there's a picture of one on their web site.)

I got their "design your own camper" literature packet a little over a year ago, and had great fun with it - they give you an "empty" van floor plan and little cut-outs of the furniture and such. I talked to them a few times, and they were very helpful. Eventually, though, I decided a new van was too expensive, and we found a used Westfalia instead.

The campers run about $40000, and that's pretty fully loaded. Note that that's not much more than a new Eurovan camper, but it's bigger inside and better equipped. One of their standard floorplans, the "RB-50", is basically a copy of the Westfalia/Eurovan floorplan.

They have a web site at www.sportsmobile.com. I just took a look at it today, and they've completely redesigned it from the last time I looked - there's quite a bit of information there now. Looks like there's still a broken link or two, though, and the "request more information" option doesn't appear to work.

-Steven Sittser