Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 18 Nov 1998 12:29:01 -0500
From:         James Cohen <jscohen@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      South Africa trip summary: VERY Vanagon relevent!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

To all,

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make reports to the list while I was in SA. Internet access was quite problematic this time unlike my trip in June.

(to make matters worse, my Sony monitor died the day I got home!)

But, I do have oodles of info for all.

I HAVE brought back some requested items for sale however! I'll list them in a post after this one.

Once again I was just overwhelmed with the Vanagons (called Microbus and Kombis over there). I couldn't stop drooling over these refined, perfected beauties.

I GUESS Cape Town was beautiful, I GUESS the beaches were topless, I didn't really notice, I was too busy STARING AT THE VANAGONS!!! My lady er...."friend" thinks I have a problem...but you all understand, right??? RIGHT??? This is normal RIGHT????

<underline>Models for '99</underline>

The Eurovan and Sharan are being introduced this Dec to SA. But, the Vanagon is still going to be produced...the ONLY place on Earth where it is still in production.

New for '99 is the new Caravelle. It has opposing rear seats, a folding table similar to the pre 1974(?) westies, it folds down flush against the left wall, and swings up to become a table. There's also an electric cooler (refridgerator) under one of the back seats. It is supposed to be the last word in long distance driving comfort. It has the 2.6i Audi engine, and they've gone back to the rectangular lights on this model.

They also have 3 other models at the low end a 1.8 Golf engine powered Kombi, a 2.3i Audi, and a 2.6i Audi.

<underline>New VANAGONS!</underline>

I have found out the prices for New Vanagons! This is interesting. By model:

Microbus 1.8: R93,140 ($16,632)

Microbus 2.3i: R114,900 ($20,517)

Microbus 2.6i R148,900 ($26,589)

Caravelle 2.6i: R169,900 ($30,339)

Keep in mind that these are MSRP. I'm sure discounts could be had. But they don't come with Cats and obviously don't meet EPA standards. I think they are surprisingly pricey considering they are manufactured in SA. But they are considered a status vehicle, believe it or not. Only the well-to-do have them.

As a consequence, I was warned multiple times that people are routinely shot during carjackings (called hijacking overthere) for Vanagons...can you believe it? (although, I WAS tempted a few times with especially beautiful red ones...;) )

I don't know what the Eurovan and the Sharan are going to cost, but those prices must be astronomical, since they're going to fit in the exclusive, exclusive market. Can you imagine? A Eurovan on the same level as a Range Rover???? I like the South African's taste!!

I figured the conversion at 5.6 Rand per dollar which is what it was when I left. But the dollar is going up again (it WAS up to almost 7 Rand per Dollar in August).

<underline>Audi Conversions

</underline>I have all the relevent info that people requested.

Bellhousings: I looked into the Bellhousings, and was going to attempt to bring some back, but the Dealer I went to was sold out!...along with every other dealer. They're getting their new shipment this week. Of course I'm home now!...Figures.

But the BH is only part of the conversion story. Apparently you need this special flywheel and clutch so that everything lines up properly. Also one needs the unique engine carrier (bushings are stock Audi). So the price of the conversion starts to get quite pricey.

There are two different exhaust manifolds, but both may be stock Audi and should come with the donar engine.

The exhaust system is a site to behold! And all the pipes and mufflers are available. As some of you might recall, I posted pics of it last June. It runs FORWARD to the main muffler which is under the left sliding door (RHD), and then runs back to another small muffler at the back of the Van. Quite an impressive set up.

Finally, the rear deck needs to be raised to accomdate the engine. They make a truly nifty platform which fits over the rear deck,and with the extra large compartment cover.

Is it worth the price? I think so. All these are FACTORY parts, which means they're going to be well made, and WILL fit. These are unique parts.

<underline>Golf Conversion.</underline>

Not so good news here. Believe it or not, these parts are all more expensive than the Audi conversion parts. All of them are standard Golf parts, except for the manifold and exhaust, and are imported from Germany (read: expensive!). They're all the same parts that we would use from the diesels to make the conversion.

However, I have located a guy who makes conversion adapters to use instead of a BH. And he makes a special flywheel which allows the use of the stock clutch and starter. I have brought a couple back!!

Now the unique thing about this adapter is it allows 3 mounting positions for the engine. 0°, 15°, and 50° (diesel). The first two require raising of the rear deck. They come in either steel or aluminum, and I'm trying to work an import deal.

I tried to buy a manifold and exhaust pipes, but once again THE DEALER was out of stock.

Bad luck. But, I think I have convinced my lady "friend" to send me some parts for those who want 'em! (This was NOT easy to do, she is loathe to Van stuff. But for me.... ;) ).

I did not assertain what the factory uses for flywheel and clutch however. I'll have to find that out.

<underline>Transmissions</underline>

Once again, I've heard that the 5sp don't hold up as well as the 4 sp, but I don't know for sure.

Forget buying one from a salvage yard, they're all spoken for. The rebuilders INSIST on an exchange with the 5s, so every one goes back into the loop. I found one place that would sell me a reconditioned 4 w/o exchange for about what I could buy a brand new 5 at the dealer for!

As I posted last week, the inside info I got from a parts manager I got friendly with is that the 5sp are made in Austria, and can be "aquired" over there for about 1/2 the price in SA (about $1000). Maybe when Helmut resurfaces and goes back home he can find out more info. Otherwise, I'll check on it when I go to Europe next summer.

<underline>Wheels</underline>

Same info as last June. They make two Alloy wheels both 15"! They also have steel 15"s. I could find no evidence of 16s, though I'm not sure why anyone would want them for a Vanagon.

I had pics of the wheels on two listees sites last June, I don't know if they're still up.

I WANT the wheels, but shipping is a real problem. They are heavy and will be expensive to ship. But I'm working on it.

<underline>RHD</underline>

For those of you that have never experienced it, driving on the wrong side of the road is a disconserting experience! But you do get used to it after a while. But shifting with my left hand was always an adventure.

I was looking at the mechanicals, and I'm not sure converting a RHD to a LHD would be all that difficult. If there was a donar Van, with all the appropriate parts (dash, steering rack, etc.) it might not be a big deal. Every thing is just mirror image. Something to ponder! ;)

<underline>Summary</underline>

Those new Vanagons make me go all "funny" inside. They are beautiful and plentiful. The Japanese vans are relegated to the lower economic classes, and are mostly "beaters". Hah, where they should be! ;)

If I could figure out a way to import some new ones, I would! Yum!

I tried to call listee Jimmy Sanby when I was down in Cape Town, but wouldn't you know it, he was out of town on business the days I was there. Too bad, hopefully next time I'll be able to meet up with him.

I also tried to email Renier, but his email address was no longer existant, so I didn't get a chance to meet up with him in Johannesburg either.

I missed meeting up with Helmut when I was in Germany in July too. I just am destined to NOT meet our foreign friends!

I hope the reports on these trips have been useful. Please feel free to email me with any questions/requests.

I have a limited number of items for sale, most of which are spoken for. And I'll list them later.

Thanks All.

James