Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 1998 00:42:17 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      Re: Is my clutch slave failing?
Comments: To: Joel Hembel <jhembel@EXECPC.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

As the weather > has gotten cooler, my clutch seems to engauge closer and closer to the > floor. Currently the clutch must be FULLY DEPRESSED to shift without > grinding. It will start grabbing 1/2 inch off the floor, and be fully > engaged at about 2 inches off the floor. If I pump the clutch, the > engagement point seems to be temporarily raised from the floor-slightly. > Is the hydraulic slave adjustable? I've checked my manual and hav'nt > seen any procedures. If I need to replace the slave/s do i do both or is > one more prone to decay/fail?

Although it could be the clutch, a bad clutch slave and/or master cylinder is most likely the culprit, particularly if pumping the clutch makes a difference. You can visually inspect the cylinders for signs of seepage. If the master cylinder is leaking, you may also notice some fluid on the carpet near the pedals. (I am assuming you have ruled out the obvious, like a low fluid level.) You may also want to bleed the system in case air in the lines is your only problem, but of course the question of *why* there may be air in the system is probably answered by the fact that you need a clutch master and/or slave cylinder.

You can get away with replacing just the bad one of the two, but judging from the number of customers who seem to order one and then the other about a month apart, I'm not sure this is the best way to go. On the advice of a seasoned Vanagon mechanic whom I trust very much, I've always replaced them in pairs. His theory, which makes sense to me based on the aforementioned sales pattern, is that when one is replaced, the increased pressure created by the new one often causes relatively quick failure of the other one. Actually, I just had both of mine replaced last week; when I got home from vacation, I discovered that all of the fluid had leaked out of my slave cylinder while I was gone, and the pedal went right to the floor. Not a happy realization considering that when I discovered this, I was due a work in 10 minutes. :-(

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com