Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 1998 09:56:00 -0500
From:         Ed Stevens <ejstevens@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Passive restraining systems. (long?)
Comments: To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

On 11/19/98 7:44 AM, EMZ eloquently inscribed

> WHat the F$%^&#$%!! is wrong with our goverment! All this >crap on new cars, and we still need to put on our seat belts. >Passive restrains (air bags) have failed! >It's really obvious that Air bags do little once passengers >where there seat belts, yet they are still mandated. > >We don't need to get rid of air bags ...,, we need >to get rid of the government! ******************* >Passive restrains (air bags) have failed!

now the original poster on passive restraints that you cited was referring to the design that cops out. It allowed manufacturers to NOT HAVE AIR BAGS if they have a motorized shoulder harness. BAD IDEA. That shoulder harness (and I had two such cars) came across, providing a falsely secure feeling and often people forgot to buckle the seat belts. In stop and go errands with my wife the damn belt would almost choke her depending on the status of the key, engine and door. again it was a bad idea.

BTW selling those cars on the used market is tougher these days. Why, because people want safety devices that they know work. There are now thieves specially hired to steal air bags out of cars for the secondary market

I imagine it was the auto industry that coined the passive restraint system and tried to sell it to the people through huge amount of campaign money to politicians.

If you had said passive restraint seat belts have failed, many of us would agree with you.

If you solely wanted to say that air bags without bucked 3 point belts have failed, others would agree. But you are not saying that, you are saying:

>It's really obvious that Air bags do little once passengers >where there seat belts, yet they are still mandated.

that would be "wear their seat belts" for the homonym impaired amongst us ;)

I cannot tell if you are joking or if you really want to be taken seriously, but I'll bite the hook here on auto safety.

this statement is very inaccurate, air bags save lives when used with the 3 point seat belts buckled. The evidence is in and it is overwhelming. Gubbermint <g> or not, they save lives here and in most other countries. Case closed Eric.

In new/recent model used car buying decisions, cars with head rests, air bags and 3 point seat belts win out. (Too bad my 84 wolfsberg has only 1 out of 3) These features are what people want, that is what they buy and our insurance premiums benefit (not so much that you would notice I'll admit). I know many people who swear that air bags saved their lives and kept their kids from losing a parent. As a responsible parent I want that. Eric, if you are not a parent BE PREPARED, because it really does change things (of course most non-parents want air bags too).

Unfortunately VW's 90's market policy for vans and trucks in the US has left many of us in a lurch. Since air bags became common (94) VW has not sold a US van until this year (99). They sold campers with air bags, but the earlier Eurovan (-93) did not have air bags. This has led many of us to driving a van/camper that really isn't up-to-par with the monsters on the highway. How comfortable do you feel when trucks tailgate and your kids are in the back. Yeah, I saw the volvo/vw crash web site, but these are my kids and I cannot be entirely comfortable with the other jerks on the road (many of whom drive our beloved VWs recklessly).

I just traded in two cars in order to get air bags for myself and my family. I'll admit it was mostly my wife's concern that started it but I got on board when I considered the importance of my two sons. Too bad the only VW van I could buy was a 99 Eurovan model. I looked at all 4 models (GLS, MV, Camper, MV weekender), twice driving an hour away to see the camper and the MV Weekender. Nice vehicles but no sale.

We ended up with a 99 Honda Odyssey LX and a 95 Volvo 850 Turbo. The Eurovan probably would have been a safer choice than the Honda, but it was $8K more (about $31K). The Eurovan MV Weekender was $36K, more that a camper ($34.4). I still have the Westie.

I wish the road wasn't becoming an arms race, I wish people had to drive responsibly and maintain their cars properly (how many missing headlights did you see last night? I like how they run in packs with 3 out of 5 cars missing a headlight). I am even willing to take another eye test, written and driving test in order to prove that I deserve the driving privileges I earned 25 years ago. I am willing to do lots of things to keep roads safer these days.

Everyone should have the right to drive older pre-air bag cars, but going forward...

Even Crash Test Dummies know the value of AirBags.

-peace Ed Stevens Valley Forge PA