Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 19 Nov 1998 16:34:50 -0500
From:         Bill Knight <bill@NS.ESC.STATE.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Head Studs
Comments: To: Vanagon List <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Carroll,

Lots of patience, waterpump pliers and vice grips were used to wrestle the broken studs out. The stud extractor got some of them, but was too bulky on the corner ones due to the water jacket being so close to the stud. Those were the tricky ones. There is another type of stud extractor that I've recently heard about that uses a cone shaped gripping device which might work better than the cam grip type I was using. I ultimately did get them out, however, so it's not impossible.

I got the studs from my local import parts shop, T-Hoff, in Raleigh. You can send them an e-mail (mailto:\\parts@t-hoff.com) for a quote and they will gladly get you what you need. Also, they can get you just the individual studs you need, it's not necessary to buy a full set.

Good Luck, Bill

-----Original Message----- From: Carroll Smith [mailto:cas@digital.net] Sent: Thursday, November 19, 1998 4:12 PM To: Bill Knight Subject: Vanagon Head Studs

Hi Bill! I hope you will not object to my replying directly to your comments to the Vanagon List regarding head stud replacement and the difficulties thereof.

I too have an 85 Vanagon (automatic, air cond., 1.9L, WC, pwr steering) which had a head stud let go while driving. Water into the oil, foam, smoke, loss of power, confusion, get it to my mechanic, pull the engine, etc.

My question is to what lengths did you have to go to remove the broken studs, and where did you buy replacements?

Did you torch the studs?

If you can spare the time, could you share a little of your experience? I have a person to help but neither he nor I have ever done this before. Any wisdom would be most greatly appreciated!

Carroll Smith