Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 1998 11:42:10 -0400
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      upper ball joint
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Hi All,

Quick note, the dealer here wanted $140Cdn ($90US) for the 'real' unit, but they gladly order in aftermarket parts and get them just as quickly. I don't have to ask for this, they just do it and let me know what the real VW part costs for comparison. So a VW supplied upper joint cost me $35Cdn ($22US), between JCWhipme and BusDepot pricing, but from the dealer. Strange days indeed!

To check upper joint, jack van, place BIG wooden block under lower A-Arm and let van down onto it, keeping tire from touching the ground. If you are lucky enough to have a hydraulic floor jack, use it under the A-arm directly. Then just grab the top of the tire and jiggle it. Will click/clunk if shot. Anyone want to guess why joints don't have zerk grease fittings on them anymore? and.... Are you really cheap? rotate your ball joints. Yup, this practice was spec'd for my Saab96, loosen/free joint, then rotate the spindle until slop is reduced to normal level and retighten. Considering the shape my Syncros joint was when I got it off, I wouldn't risk this, could cause the joint to separate when it wears a bit more... ooops!

bye, Tim