Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 1998 16:14:24 -0800
From:         Ari Ollikainen <Ari@OLTECO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon vs Volvo Crash Photos
Comments: To: dmcs@cyburban.com, vanagon@vanagon.com

At 2:45 PM 11/20/98, David-M wrote:

>There are many illogical statements in your argument.

How *many* could there be? I just wrote the following sentences in response to your questions

DMCS>Question: Do you like high car insurance rates?

ARI> Of course not...but given the accident experience of Vanagons our ARI> insurance rates should be MUCH lower than, say, those of Volvo ARI> owners.

AND

DMCS>If you dont, then you should be in favour of safety regulation. DMCS>The cost of death and injuries in vehicle collisions is astronomical.

[ NHTSA's CONCLUSION deleted ]

ARI> But of course NHTSA hasn't really offered any proof of this ARI> assertion and the fatality rates were declining in the decade ARI> prior to 1985-1995, as well. ARI> ARI> There are some interesting statistics in this particular report, ARI> such as:

[ NHTSA's TABLE 1 deleted ]

>Two of which are: >First, you assume that your insurance rates are based on the safety of >your vehicle. NOT SO, they are influenced by the total costs of the >insurance industry.

So they ARE...but NOT in a LOGICAL manner. Insurance companies DO NOT set rates MAINLY on a particular vehicle model's loss EXPERIENCE *UNLESS* it's EXTREMELY POOR! There are probably as many rating systems as there are undewrwriters and actuaries at insurance companies. Insurance companies use many different factors in determining their rates, including, in some states, the neighborhood of the owner, the owner's age, marital status, occupation, etc. Many of these factors have NO correlation with risk...

HOWEVER , I was suggesting that, since the Vanagon, as a model, has a LOW accident LOSS RATE/experience, that it should be given a "favorable" or "good vehicle" DISCOUNT.

There's nothing ILLOGICAL about my statement EXCEPT your INTERPRETATION!

>Secondly, you assume that because safety has improved, costs should not >rise. The fact is that medical, legal and administrative costs are >rising, outweighing any improcvement in vehicle safety. >Thats why your insurance rates GO UP every year not down.

NOT mine.

>Thats why legislation that reduces accidents or the severity of >accidents will help to keep insurance rates in check.

Like <cough> passive restraints? Five mph bumpers which were downrated to 2mph? Or BUMPER HEIGHT standards which ONLY apply to passenger cars...Here's something interesting to ponder, from

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/nrd10/aggressivity/documents/980908/980908.htm

a NHTSA paper entitled "The Aggressivity of Light Trucks and Vans in Traffic Crashes"

<begin excerpt>

Why are LTVs more aggressive?

The preceding analysis of crash statistics has clearly demonstrated the incompatibility between cars and LTVs in highway crashes. Still remaining to be determined however are the design characteristics of LTVs which lead to their incompatibility with cars. In general, crash incompatibility arises due to the three factors:

Mass Incompatibility. Stiffness Incompatibility Geometric Incompatibility.

The following section will examine the relationship between LTV-car compatibility and these sources of incompatibility.

Mass Incompatibility

LTVs are 900 pounds heavier than cars on average [5]. The conservation of momentum in a collision places smaller vehicles at a fundamental disadvantage when the collision partner is a heavier vehicle. As shown in Figure 10, LTVs, as a group, tend to be heavier than passenger cars [7]. Figure 10 crossplots AM as a function of vehicle weight, and demonstrates the strong relationship between mass and aggressivity. The mass incompatibility between cars and LTVs appears to be growing. As shown in Figure 11, during the time frame of 1985-1993, average mass of both cars and LTVs has steadily increased, and the weight mismatch between the two classes of vehicles has slowly grown as well.

[...]

Stiffness Incompatibility

As a group, LTV frontal structures are more stiff than passenger cars. LTVs frequently use a stiff frame-rail design as opposed to the softer unibody design favored for cars. Drawing on NHTSA New Car Assessment Program crash test results, the linear stiffness of a selection of LTVs and cars was estimated using the following relationship:

k = (mv2) / x2 (Eqn. 1)

where m is the mass of the vehicle, v is the initial velocity of the vehicle, and x is the maximum dynamic crush of the vehicle. The relationship between linear stiffness and AM is shown in Figure 12. Figure 12 indicates that stiffness is a contributing factor to the aggressivity of a vehicle. Because the stiffness of a vehicle is also somewhat related to its mass, as shown in Figure 13, stiffness may not prove to be as dominant an aggressivity factor as mass. Although stiffness and mass are related in many cases, stiffness is not totally driven by the mass of the vehicle. Figure 13 shows that for any given mass, there is a wide distribution of stiffness values. For example for 1750 kg vehicles, the least stiff vehicles are passenger cars while the most stiff vehicles are LTVs.

Figure 14 compares the frontal stiffness of a Ford Taurus and a Ford Ranger pickup. Both vehicles have approximately the same mass, but note that the Ranger pickup is significantly stiffer than the Taurus. In a frontal collision between the two, the bulk of the crash energy would be absorbed by Taurus and the Taurus occupants. Far less energy would be absorbed by the Ranger. From a compatibility perspective, a more ideal scenario would be for the Taurus and Ranger structures to each share the crash energy rather than forcing one of the collision partners to absorb the bulk of the crash.

[...]

Geometric Incompatibility

LTVs, especially four-wheel drive sport utility vehicles, ride higher than cars. This creates a mismatch in the structural load paths in frontal impacts, and may prevent proper interaction of the two vehicle structures in a collision. In a side impact, this imbalance in ride height allows the LTV structure to override the car door sill, and contributes to the intrusion of the side-impacted vehicle.

Ideally, the ride height used in an analysis of this type would be the height of the forward-most load bearing structural member of the vehicle. The location of this forward-most structural element however has no precise definition, and must be estimated from other measurements. Some analyses have used bumper height as the height of this load bearing member. However, because in the U.S., the bumper must only meet a 2-* mile/hour bumper impact standard, and LTVs have no bumper standard, our belief is that, with respect to occupant protection, bumpers are largely ornamental, and their location provides little evidence of the location of load bearing members. The rocker panel, on the other hand, is a much more substantial structural member, and because the rocker panel is typically lower than the forward-most structure, serves as a superior lower bound on the location of the frame structure.

Figure 15 shows that ride height is related somewhat with vehicle mass. For this analysis, ride height is defined to be the rocker panel height as measured at the trailing edge of the front wheel well [7]. However note that the rocker panel height across all masses of passenger cars is relatively consistent - perhaps due to the bumper standard with which all passenger cars must comply. On the other hand, LTVs, which have no bumper standard, exhibit a wide variation in ride height and are in general much higher than passenger cars.

Figure 16 presents average ride height by vehicle category. Sport utility vehicles have the highest ride height with an average rocker panel height of 390 mm. Subcompact cars have the lowest-riding height with an average rocker panel height of 175 mm. SUVs ride almost 200 mm higher than mid-sized cars - a geometric incompatibility that would readily permit the SUV to override any side structure in a car and directly strike the car occupant.

<end excerpt.

ENJOY!

OLTECO Ari Ollikainen P.O. BOX 3688 Networking Technology and Architecture Stanford, CA Ari@OLTECO.com 94309-3688 415.517.3519