Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 1998 20:14:29 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: simple engine RPM question--need shifting advice
Comments: To: Phillip Bouton <pbouton@NACCHO.ORG>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

The Audi 80 2.0L engine changes things for me a bit. I try to keep the RPMs between 2800 and 3200 for cruising speeds. Below 2500 RPM the power starts to fall off. When accelerating rapidly 5200 RPM is not uncommon, if I am putting around 4000 to 4500 is where I usually shift. Gas is cheap and getting pushed into your seat is fun so this explains my driving!

My 2.0L Rabbit Pickup 7000 RPM is not uncommon due to the wild 276 deg solid lifter cam. There is no power under 3000 RPM and the fun begins at 4500. Mind you are 970kg total weight who need bottom end torque!

At 09:46 20/11/98 -0500, Phillip Bouton wrote: I also have been perplexed by the same issue. The manual says to stay in the green. On my 87 Westy that is between 2 and 4k rpm. Europeans would rather sacrifice an engine to save gas in the long run because gas is so expensive. In my van it seems that in order for the next higher gear to start around 2k, you definitely need to be shifting around 3500 or higher. Otherwise the next higher gear will be between 1.5 and 2k. However, I can't say that I do this consistently because it is so hard to let myself rev the engine that high in the lower gears. Does anyone have any reassurances or other comments?

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>J Phillip Bouton -----Original Message----- From: Jarod Bishop [mailto:jbishop01@FOXINTERNET.NET] Sent: Thursday, November 19, 1998 7:38 PM To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM Subject: simple engine RPM question

I recently bought an '87 Syncro. Having never owned a VW, I'm not used to running the engine at a higher RPM rate like people have told me.

The speed seems to max out at around 3500 but I give some more gas and get it past 4k before shifting, but I've heard you should go atleast 4.5k or 5k. I was hoping to get input on what others typically run their vans at before shifting up.

Thanks

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --