Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 20 Nov 1998 23:06:26 -0600
From:         Jeff <jeff@ELECTROPONICS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Heads are on
Comments: To: "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

On 11/20/98 at 4:16 PM, hotch@NETAXS.COM (R. Hotchkiss) wrote:

> I'm a happy boy, my heads are on, my engine's full of beverages and it's > not leaking!!!

ME TOO! I only have a small one, where my assistant heavy handed something and broke off the "bleeder valve nipple" in the process. Will be looking for name of part and where to get it.

> Last night I finally finished up all the engine work involved in the > head and gasket replacement with only one delay, the thermostat housing > gasket (new) leaked at the head, but I used some of the German black goo > that was left over from the head gaskets and sealed it up.

Same here, just made a new gasket for it. Were they all designed as bad as the 85? What's with that 2 inch hose, nazi hose clamps and 1/8" gap between fittings! My hands are still cramped.

> Someone asked me to post what this job cost me, here goes: > > $150 - gaskets, nuts, bolts > $ 30 - Oil cooler hoses > $800 - New Heads > $50 - Fluids, filter (synthetic oil)

$150 - gaskets, nuts bolts $350 - exhaust (which I broke trying to get off) 15$ - JB Weld, Good Flat File $30 - Fluids, filter (not synthetic, but will change now that it doesn't leak)

There was some other unfortunate soul here in St. Louis that was one week ahead of me. Archway said that it was the second machining out of bolts in a thermostat housing that week. You out there?

SPECIAL THANKS GO OUT TO BILL DUMMIT. WITHOUT YOUR BENTLEY AND YOUR GOOD KARMA/ADVICE WE WOULDN'T HAVE MADE IT. I'LL HAVE YOUR BENTLEY BACK AFTER THE WEEKEND. GOING TO DO SOME DRIVING!!! yay!

I would have liked to do the new head thing, but self-employment in the internet business is pretty low profit right now...

JW

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Jeff Wiegand | Chief Meteorologist | Electroponics, Inc. jeff@electroponics.com | http://www.electroponics.com/ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++