Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Nov 1998 20:58:04 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: head gaskets
Comments: To: Ed Berlett <berlett@TOWSON.EDU>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

No. I replaced the gaskets with the engine in place. I didn't even have jack stands. Once you remove the splash shields near the wheel wells there is plenty of room to swing a wrench for the most part. A few tight squezzes but nothing that cannot be worked around. If you have the Haynes manual it will tell you that you "SHOULD" not attempt it with the engine in place. Having said that it will proceed to tell you how to do it under the assumption that the engine is on the bench and not in the van. Because of this you have to be a little careful if you are taking your instructions from the Haynes. Where it says "If the cylinders are sticking to the heads they can be removed as a unit" (or words to that effect). Disregard this instruction. If you pull the cylinders out past the piston rings you will have about doubled the ammount of word needed to complete the job. I mention this in case you have the Haynes manual. THAT is the primary bugaboo in the job. My cylinders were stuck BIG TIME to the heads and it took a lot of prying, hammering (gentle hammering) and a considerable ammount of cussing to get the things off all the while making DAMN sure I did not pull the cylinders out past the piston rings. Most folks say you can pull them out as far as 2 inches but being the paranoid type I kept it to about an inch. Seperating the cylinders from the heads is not complex, only a big pain if they are sticking. The rest is pretty straightforward even for a non-mechanic like myself. Before you start the job make sure you have access to a touque wrench as you MUST torque the heads properly when you put them back on. If you dont you will be leaking again in no time. If you do not already have it I HIGHLY recommend you get the Bentley manual. At $85 or so it is not cheap but if you use it it will more than pay for itself in the long run.In the 5 years I have owned my Westy I figure it has saved me at least $1500 is labor costs. Also dont be afraid to sink some cash into the necessary tools. You are going to pay for tools anyway; if you go to Sears you will be paying for your tools, if you go to the VW mechanic you will be paying for HIS tools. Much better to pay for your tools. When I started the job I admit to being VERY nervous. I had never attempted something like this before but I figured, what the heck. If I hit a dead end I can always have it towed to the dealer, whch I would have had to do anyway had I not attempted the job myself. I was pleasently surprised as how simple the job turned out to be. Except for those &$%*(#% cylinders sticking to the heads it was no sweat at all.