Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:52:31 -0800
From:         Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      88 Westie: Intermittent "Level Indicator" Lights
Comments: To: VW Bus Listserv <vanagon@vanagon.com>

I don't know what this device is "officially" called, but what I'm referring to is the level indicator on the camping equipment, below the stove top and above the fridge, which indicates the level of water and battery power you have left. Mine only works intermittently and, emboldened by successes in recent smaller jobs I was able to do myself (with major "how to" help from Unca Joel and others), I would like to tackle this job next.

Anybody ever done it? I see in the Bentley that there's a section on camping equipment, but it makes no mention of how to repair the level indicator. When I first got the Westie, the reverse lights were not working, and the mechanic showed me how this was caused by a "contact" or "relay" which was not falling into place, and I'm thinking that the level light problem might be of the same ilk.

As I say, it works sometimes, if jiggled. I'm a big fan of the radio and CD player, which I tend to use when the bus is not running, so the battery level indicator is something I would very much like to restore to full functionality. Any tips or hints would be much appreciated.

Chris '88 Westie, Rozinante Los Angeles