Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:01:24 -0500
From:         Robert Rountree <rountree@PLANETEER.COM>
Subject:      Re: routes: scenic bypasses.LONG
Comments: To: Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>,
          Vanagon Mailing Lis <Vanagon@vanagon.com>

-----Original Message----- From: Martin Jagersand Subject: Bus routes: most scenic bypasses. >So what are some of these bus routes? I'd love to hear from other >people what and where their favorite routes are?

Thanks for this tidbit Martin..... You know, there seems to be two general types of Bus people, (my generalities) motor heads & cruisers, the motor heads have 10 vehicles in their back yard and basically spend most of their free time rearranging their parts to keep one running van , that's what they enjoy, there is nothing wrong with that..... The cruisers (mostly Westy owners) try and find what time they can for getting out and feeling their world.... it's ALIVE.... the ghost in the machine, just makes the magic carpet move....Why?...who cares?.. until it stops... I've always felt like a strange bird, because I like my machine, I listen to her, a change in whine, a lite growl, a different drip...But the REASON I have owned & ran out 3 (now on my 4th) Westies... is WHERE the magic carpet can take me... it's purely in the VIEW my friends... of course being a Canadian.... I generally travel with a canoe on my head (I also have a butt about as wide as an otter tail;^)....The Westy is a nimble turtle, feeling my footing carefully, it has taken me in & out of many a ruff portage, leaving only muddy tracks & scratches down her side from the bushes...I enjoy BEING in my Westy, sometimes as much or more than, traveling in her... But a VW Van is a beast of burden... and it's the owner's burden to know your van... listen to her.... she's like an old mystery... always got some new twist up her sleeve.... I enjoy some of the stories on this list (& because I've been computing since it was bbs's) I know there is always going to be static/traffic/newbies/chatter/different opinions...and between the lines some good STUFF...it's sort of like a big global plaza...lots of noise, parties, weddings, wakes, show offs...New Volks come on happy... We have a new baby!!!... others bow out due to the heavy demands of survival in this world... I have to get off this list I can't take all the messages!!!!.... or others have to (with laden hearts) give up the beast....It is with great sorrow we have to put our mother turtle up for sale... But for me it's the STORIES....it's the TRIPS... it's what makes a Westy & her Clan MAGIC.... and not a magic wagon.... the road is full of vans... but how many turtles carry their magic like a Westy?...... now as I said earlier.... there must be as many stories as there are stars.... What I like about this list, are those stories..... and I know for a fact that there are some silver tongued story tellers out there lurking in the ether..... Tell us.... why do you love your Westy.... where has she taken you.... and what magic has happened? Rob 87 Westy SyncroGL.....Cynosure (slip&drip..open head surgery in progress)

rountree@planeteer.com