Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:18:01 -0500
From:         Rick Koller <rkoller@HELIX.NIH.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Having an annoying problem with my 85 strategy. First
              occurred about 3              months ago while traveling on the B
Comments: To: Curtis Graham <CGRAHAM@NOVELL.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 10:07 AM 11/16/98 -0700, Curtis Graham wrote: >Having an annoying problem with my 85 GL. First occurred about 3 months ago while traveling on the highway. The engine died (tach dropped to zero), but kicked back in within a couple seconds. Didn't happen again for about a month, but when it did the cut out lasted a few more seconds. Over the last couple of months the frequency of this phenomenon has increased to where I can expect it to occur at least once or more a day. It seems totally random. It happens while idling at a stop light, at freeway speeds, or driving in town. The engine runs very well before and after this happens. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. > >Thanks >Curtis Graham >Orem Utah > > Curtis et al, I know this scenario ad nauseum, unfortunately the potential causes of these symptons are numerous. I will summarize my particular experience. First off, the List was a tremendous help to me, as I had basically zero experience with trouble-shooting auto electric problems and received numerous potential strategys toward a solution. I thought initially that the problem was the ecu, the symptoms matched what others with faulty ecu's had experienced. I took out the ecu and gave it a good rap and the van started immediately, this confirmed my suspicions or so I thought. So I decided to buy a new brain, which I did and subsequently installed. A day later the van stops and won't restart again, exactly the same problem. The vanagods had decided to toy with me! The problem was obviously more subtle. Next I cleaned all the grounds and wire connectors I could find, and some of them were somewhat corroded. Then I checked for continuity in as many wires in the engine compartment I could and found no breaks. I changed the distributor cap, rotor and plug wires. I ordered the Digitool from Darrell Boehler and installed it so I could watch the various ecu and sensor functions while driving. And still the van would unexpectedly stop dead. The vanagods were indeed testing my worthiness to be a "vanagon-companion". I was beginning to be on a first name basis with the local AAA tow-truck infrastructure! The Digitool put me on the right trail finally. The battery readout (this is not the battery's actual voltage, but rather what the ecu is seeing downstream from various relays and other electrical components on the engine) on the Digitool was reading between 12.3 and 12.9 with a lot of bouncing up and down between these values. On another nonafflicted vanagon the reading was a stable 13.4 or 5 which I thought should be the correct values. I started to suspect some kind of alternator glitch, maybe the brushes/voltage regulator was going bad and so I replaced that, it made no difference. I decided to change the ignition switch's electrical component as a deterent, fellow listees had recently ranted about the fickleness of this particular item. While preparing to do this I was back at the engine compartment just looking and listening while it was running and I finally saw the source of all my frustrations. A large guage red wire on the back of the alternator that is connected to a stud coming from inside the alternator was loose in its circular connector. There's a cluster of 3 large guage wires connected on top of each other on this stud and as appeared to be solidly in place. When I disconnected this one wire the van died and behaved exactly like it would during one of the intermittent stops, I believe that this wire led up to the ignition switch. I replaced the bad connector and now the voltage reading on the Digitool is a stable 13.4 or 5. I believe the vanagods finally spared me more trials and tribulations....for now ;+). By the way the stud on the back of the alternator was worn about one third through by these 3 connectors, it will break someday! Hope this experience helps.

Rick Koller '90 syncro westie '91 electrically correct auto box