Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 1998 09:59:04 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Limited Vanagon content: using reverse running transaxles
Comments: To: Pat <pdooley@GTE.NET>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

At 11:24 22/11/98 -0500, Pat wrote: >I have been giving much thought to the Audi transmission deal again. We had >a tread months ago regarding using an Audi 5 speed trans in the vanagon with >diff flipped. I was supposed to investigate the possibility of such a mod. >Well, time has past and I still haven't got to it yet. I am proficient at >tearing down transaxles and the possibility stills exists, but I too was >thinking of just making a rabbit motor run backwards. The only problem that >has not been considered is making the oil pump feed the motor instead of >blowing air down the pickup tube. >Or am I wrong? Will the pump work turning either direction? >If not, one solution may be using an oil pump from a diesel rabbit. I >believe the timing belt on these motors turns the intermediate shaft the >opposite direction of the gas motors. For a reverse running gas motor, this >would be perfect. >Can anybody else think of other problems? I think the oil seals on the >crank, cam and intermediate shaft are directional, they kinda wick the oil >back into the block. Maybe I'm thinking of the air cooled motors here. >I'll check into that.

The Alternator and Water Pump will also be spinning backwards. I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not for the alternator, but the cooling will be drastically effected. I suppose one could always use an electric water pump.

The reverse cam shaft isn't a problem as I know of a few companies that grind their own cams from factory billets. I am currently looking into getting a cam that does the opposite of all the other cams out there - give me more bottom end power at the expense of high end power. Sort of like what VW did with the VR6 in the Eurovan.

>The reason all this appeals to me is that Audi 5 speeds cost 50 bucks at my >junkyard and Audi or rabbit motors cost a C note. > >With all due respect to Ken, this is much more practical than spending >1600-1700 dollars on a transmission that we know little about. Like parts >prices and even parts availability. What happens if the thing breaks and >you can't get parts for it? If my Audi setup breaks I simply go to the >junkyard and buy another complete trans for 50 bucks. > >-PSD.

Personally I would investigate making the Audi transmission go in reverse. As there are too many unknows in making the making a water-cooled VW engine spin in reverse. My next question is, of one can make an Audi transmission spin in reverse, can you make the rear differential of a Quattro function correctly in reverse? If so this would solve a lot of dead VC problems and give us a much better 4x4 system.

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --