Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:56:52 EST
From:         Raul Cisneros <Merrag@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Smooth new Syncro tranny
Comments: To: Vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Well I’ve now got about 4k miles on a rebuilt tranny in my 86 Syncro GL. 4k smooth and worry free miles. I bought the Van with about 114k miles and although I had never before had a Syncro or a Vanagon, I had wanted one from the moment I first saw a Syncro Westy - at the top of a very rugged jeep trail near Shoshone National Forest in Montana back in about 1994. (I had just picked my way up about 5 miles of steep, rocky jeep trail in a rented Ford Explorer. At the top, I saw a truly amazing and envious sight - a white Westy Syncro, top up, and two people sitting quite happily next it, eating dinner- listees?) So when I finally bought one, I was real happy, completely oblivious to all the quirks that go along with such a cool machine until one day, while coming back from a visit to the Museum of Natural History in New York City with the family, we return to my parked Syncro and there is this guy next to it checking it out. It was Derek Drew. So we talk, and he tells me about the list, which I had just signed onto, but was not really educated by, yet. The one thing Derek said that stuck in my mind was “If you have 114k on this vehicle and the tranny has never been out, start shopping around for another, now.” So I learned that these things go and go it did. Luckily for me it lasted for another 23k before the tranny blew fourth gear. But when it did, it started a couple months of, chasing a used tranny, getting a bad used tranny, (from a place in So. Mass, through a place in Connecticut called Goldies, beware) chasing my money, getting my money back, then finally hooking up with Dennis Haynes‘ on Long Island. Dennis checked it out told me the scope of the rebuild, he rebuilt it, and 4k miles later, the Syncro is going great, the tranny shift lever does not wobble, the tranny is quiet, the shifting is smooth, I’m zooming around, thanks Dennis. I can’t wait for some decent snow fall around here this winter.

-Raul Cisneros 86 Smooth Syncro GL 87 not as smooth, Syncro Westy Nyack, NY