Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 1998 10:54:16 -0800
From:         Beglins <beglins@MYHOME.NET>
Subject:      FW: What is a replacement value? (86 Westfalia)
Comments: To: vanagon <vanagon@vanagon.com>

-----Original Message----- From: Beglins [mailto:beglins@myhome.net] Sent: Saturday, November 21, 1998 9:28 AM To: Steven Minta Subject: RE: What is a replacement value? (86 Westfalia)

As I do not know your ins. Co, the general rule is you have two options: a monetary settlement or you have the right to "a vehicle of like value". The 2nd option takes work by you as you must shop for vehicles that you would accept as replacements. Insurance co.'s do not like this option because of the time factor for shopping. When I was a kid (16) I totaled a 74 Datsun Pu. The adjuster who was in his 40's (my age now) offered me $1300. I had bought it for $1600 which was a great price as it had only 25k on it. In my ignorance, I mentioned that which fueled his argument. I called my brother who was an ins. agent and asked his advice. " the monetary settlement is unacceptable and my purchase price is NOT part of the discussion. I would like a Pu of like and comparable value". He cringed at this as well as his blood pressure went up 10 points. After a moment I revealed a list of similar rigs that I would accept as replacements. The least expensive one was $2300, (I also had Polaroid's of these). We settled for $2100! In early August, my 84 Vanagon was rear ended on I - 5. The adjuster offered $2200. I played the same cards and settled for $3100 or $2650 and I get salvage rights. Option 2 worked for me as the only damage was the rear skirt, bumper and a cracked exhaust manifold. Repairs ( expect for skirt which is the panel that is below the bumper) cost approx. $400. I am driving which a smile and am $2250 to the plus. P.S. the money from the Datsun paid off my loan and enough left over to buy a 66 Ford Pu from a friend (which I still have and is still running).

I'd appreciate the benefit of others' experience regarding an insurance settlement for my totaled 1986 Vanagon Westfalia:

I have been negotiating with my claims adjuster as to its 'replacement value' (if bought in or near Santa Cruz, CA). Consequently, I looked up the Blue Book and IntelliChoice values _as guides_ to its fair-market worth or replacement value:

BLUE BOOK Suggested Retail $10,200 Blue Book Trade-in Value (excellent condition) $6,050 ...for California 95060 (Santa Cruz) 1986 VW Vanagon GL Camper (Westfalia) 150,000 miles 4 Cylinder Gas , 4 Speed Manual, Rear Wheel Drive, Power Steering, AM/FM Stereo, Cassette, Premium Sound

similarly,

INTELLICHOICE Total Vehicle Value (adjusted) Retail $7,760 (after the severe downward adjustment for mileage of -$1400)

Next, I looked up ads in regional papers (SF Examiner-Chronicle, San Jose Mercury, etc.) and online sources. There were only a few '86 Westys, but the asking prices were $8000+ for what I could determine to be a _comparable_ vehicle.

I guess the real question is "what is comparable?" When I bought the Westy several years ago, the engine and driveline were in very good condition (despite the high mileage, and it gave me 20mpg), the suspension was in excellent condition, the exterior was in excellent shape, and the interior was in nearly mint condition. The single previous owner was anal-retentive about maintenance and care, storing it in a garage, and he virtually never used it as a camper (just freeway long hauls to visit relatives). There was no rust, as the vehicle was kept in CA Central Valley, with trips to the Southwest. At purchase time, we had two different Vanagon mechanics inspect it, they both said we were getting a really good deal at the $7900 purchase price. Absolutely everything worked. Since then, I have treated it like a baby, only installing a new water pump and tires.

Now, my question is: Am I wrong in thinking I should get $7500 for replacement? I have nearly given up on trying to convince the claims adjuster that I can't replace it for his estimate of $6800, as nice as he is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining here--I've just never been through anything like this. My wife claims that I fell in love with this vehicle, therefore it is more valuable to me than any purely rational claims adjuster!

Thank you for any advice, Steve Minta