Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 1998 23:08:01 -0800
From:         The Skylight Guy <skylight@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: oh No!- My "New" 1984 Westy Shuts Down on the H-Way!
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi Marshall

Yes I have experienced a similiar phenomenon while driving through the Canadian Rockies a couple of summers ago. When I explained this condition to the mechanic on my cell when stranded at the top of Rogers Pass, he told me to take off the catalytic converter and knock out the bits. Inside the converter is a porcelin honeycome core. As you drive, the porcelin super heats itself thus vaporizing any unburnt residues left over from the combustion cycle of the engine. The catayltic converter rattles around and the porcelin breaks off which turn into golfball size balls inside. When they get infront of the exhaust port entering into the muffler, exhaust can't leave the vehicle, which tends to bog the engine down.

A simple test (when the catalytic converter is cold:) is to hit it and listen for rattling around. The porcelin is easy to remove by a metal bar and a hammer. Dust mask and safety glasses are recommended as debris can fly all over the place. We also had a skylight customer explain a similiar story. They too were taking a trip through the Rockies to Toronto and experienced the same "gaining and losing" outside of Chilliwack, B.C. They cleared their cc and it worked for them.

Let me know

Trevor Reid 84 Westy "Vanny" 88 Westy "Annie" T H E S K Y L I G H T G U Y est.1997 1832 Eureka Avenue, Port Coquitlam, B.C. zzzzzzzzzzzzz_ Canada V3C 5C1 Ph 604 941 0676 Fax 468 0676 |E[__][__]|[_]\\ e-mail: skylight@home.com |skylight | guy|| ............................................ =-(o)------(o)-== http://members.home.net/skylight/ http://skylightguy.webwizards.net http://ep.com/ep/mi.html?ad=156262