Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 1998 02:30:53 EST
From:         Todd Hill <Jwilli941@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: unlimited Vanagon Syncro/Audi Quattro trans swap budget
Comments: To: Vanagon@vanagon.com

jjvantol@USWEST.NET writes:

<< The main problem with running a transmission in reverse is that it may not last very long, >>

OK- why not??

<< and the synchronizers may not work correctly.>>

I wasn't aware that they were directional. Third and fourth gears in a Beetle take the same syncro ring and those gears face each other on the mainshaft, therefore, the gear spin is going in opposite directions.

<< It is quite possible, and even likely that in a transaxle, the bearings that take reverse thrust may not be strong enough. >>

Again, my understanding is that the main and pinion shaft load is axial and not longitudinal. They don't care if they are spun clockwise or counterclockwise.

<<Far simpler to run it forward, but flip the diff, or, if that's impossible, flip the whole tranny. KEP has some info on this in their catalog. >>

Far cheaper is repair and run a Syncro in a Van and Quattro in an Audi. Sure, I think that this is a great idea but just how practical in the real world would it be? Unless you want to dump a boatload of greenbacks into a major project like this I'd stick with the stock system. You could beef your 4WD platform of choice for less than half of what it would take to retrofit a stock system of one into the other and have a much better operating system. Believe me, if I could do something like this and have a hope of selling it I would! Its nice from an academic viewpoint, however!

-Todd Hill VolksWerks Transaxles Olympia, WA