Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:50:17 EST
From:         Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Smooth new Syncro tranny
Comments: To: Merrag@aol.com, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

<<Well I’ve now got about 4k miles on a rebuilt tranny in my 86 Syncro GL. 4k

smooth and worry free miles. I bought the Van with about 114k miles and

although I had never before had a Syncro or a Vanagon, I had wanted one from

the moment I first saw a Syncro Westy - at the top of a very rugged jeep

trail near Shoshone National Forest in Montana back in about 1994.. . . >>

Hi Raul, I am also new to owning a Syncro Westy (1 year). I'm fairly new to the site (2 months), which by the way has the greatest people and very friendly. I am amazed on how some of them KNOW SO MUCH! and how willing they are to help a fellow Vanagon lover. What a privledge it is to be on this list. I also have the same Westy as you have with 170M miles. I don't know if my tranny was ever built. Right now it seems to run ok, except that I am experiencing trouble getting into 1st, and once in awhile 2nd. It feels like it locks up preventing me from getting into gear. I have to sometimes move it to 3rd or 4th before I can get it into 1st. Very frustrated in stop and go traffic. Once I'm out of 1st, the rest of the gears seem to work fine. As you know the VW dealers are very expensive on anything they do. Most of the time I can do the work myself. But sometimes I can't, so I am looking for a good VW mechanic in CT that's afforable. I'll have to post that request on the list. You seem very satisfied with the work of Dennis Haynes. Is Dennis a Tranny shop and where? Was the work expensive and how long did it take? I am a former New Yorker and live in CT now. I'm only about an easy 45 mins from LI. I would Love to be prepared for what seems to be in my tranny's horizon. Thanks and good luck. I'll wave when I see ya (smile). Dan 87 Syncro GL Westy 71 Bug Conv.(in the body shop)