Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 1998 11:08:08 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@JPS.NET>
Subject:      Fw: 88 Westie: Intermittent "Level Indicator" Lights
Comments: To: Vanagon List Address <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

---------- > From: Davidson <wdavidson@jps.net> > To: Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM> > Subject: Re: 88 Westie: Intermittent "Level Indicator" Lights > Date: Sunday, November 22, 1998 10:42 AM > > Chris, > There were quite a few posts regarding this LED indicator panel last > August. (You can search the archives for this information.) That's when I > had a problem with mine. But my problem was that the water level LEDs did > not work (the green one was on all the time as I remember). Well, it turned > out that one of the little 12 legged component critters was blown on the > panel AND the switches in the long rod in the water tank were blown. I > replaced the switch rod with a new one, and someone soldered in a new > component on the back of my LED panel for me. My guess is that while > working on the electrical system (LED side of the fuses behind the drivers > seat) I caused a short that surged the power and blew these things. One > other thing I learned is that if you're going to work on the LED indicator > panel you must be VERY careful to discharge any static from your body and > tool BEFORE touching it. The panel is quite vulnerable to being fried by > static electricity. (And all the wires leading to it.) Careful, a new panel > is about $175.00!! > If you panel is fully functional at times and then everything goes out > intermittently, my guess is that you have some loose wires or bad > connections some place. If only certain LED's go out intermittently then > that would give you a clue as to which wires and connectors to look at. The > tests given in the Bentley are to determine if the problem is the panel or > the wiring so you cold try these. If they all go out intermittently then > you might check to see that the connector plug behind the LED panel is > tight. Also check for corrosion at the connector contacts. I am no expert > on these electrical things. I hope this has helped. > Bill > 90 Westy Syncro > Lake Tahoe > > ---------- > > From: Chris Paquette <cp@IX.NETCOM.COM> > > To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM > > Subject: 88 Westie: Intermittent "Level Indicator" Lights > > Date: Saturday, November 21, 1998 6:52 PM > > > > I don't know what this device is "officially" called, but what I'm > referring > > to is the level indicator on the camping equipment, below the stove top > and > > above the fridge, which indicates the level of water and battery power > you > > have left. Mine only works intermittently and, emboldened by successes > in > > recent smaller jobs I was able to do myself (with major "how to" help > from > > Unca Joel and others), I would like to tackle this job next. > > > > Anybody ever done it? I see in the Bentley that there's a section on > > camping equipment, but it makes no mention of how to repair the level > > indicator. When I first got the Westie, the reverse lights were not > > working, and the mechanic showed me how this was caused by a "contact" or > > "relay" which was not falling into place, and I'm thinking that the level > > light problem might be of the same ilk. > > > > As I say, it works sometimes, if jiggled. I'm a big fan of the radio and > CD > > player, which I tend to use when the bus is not running, so the battery > > level indicator is something I would very much like to restore to full > > functionality. Any tips or hints would be much appreciated. > > > > Chris > > '88 Westie, Rozinante > > Los Angeles