Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:30:48 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Audi Trannies running in reverse again?-reply
Comments: To: KBatzler <KBatzler@EMAIL.MSN.COM>, vanagon@VANAGON.COM

This is most likely true as Canada has a few more VW models than the USA. Here we have the Golf and Jetta CL versions with a Motronic 1.8L engine that makes 90hp. We also had the 5 cylinder diesel the the Audis and the 1.9L non-TDI engines in the Jettas and Audis that were made in Germany.

At 10:57 24/11/98 -0800, KBatzler wrote: >You know, if it didn't cost manufactures $1,000,000 to federalize a vehicle >to the US, we probably would have had more choices. I not sure it's such a >problem in Canada...correct me if I'm wrong. >BTW: That's $1 million per model and trans option...or so I'm told! >Karl Batzler > >>For some strange unknown Teutonic reasoning VW has treated >>the United States market like an unwanted step-child for many, >>many years. Heck, even the Canadians got the Syncro Passat! >>I'm sure you've seen the A3 Jetta TDI station wagon Syncro >>thats available in Europe (or so the brochure tells me) and those >>South African Vanagons with their engine/transaxle choices! >>*IF* VW had stuffed in the inline 4 cylinder and a true 5-speed >>into the Vanagon they'd still be selling them today down at >>the local autohaus. No! Make that a VR6 5-speed Syncro! >>With the Westy package you wouldn't be able to keep them >>on the lot. They would just roll the transport truck onto a side >>street by the dealer and sell them that way. Pssst.... Hey >>buddy! Wanna buy a Syncro?? >> >>-Todd Hill >> VolksWerks Transaxles >> Olympia, WA >> > >

-- David Marshall -- -- 78 1.8L VW Rabbit, 80 2.0L VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ -- -- 85 VW Cabriolet, 88 2.0L VW Syncro 16" Double Cab -- -- Volkswagen Homepage http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Volkswagen/Audi Parts http://parts.volkswagen.org -- -- mailto:david@volkswagen.org - Quesnel, BC, Canada --