Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Nov 1998 07:09:10 EST
From:         Daniel Bey <DanielisOk@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Fwd:  Re: Smooth new Syncro tranny
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

In a message dated 11/25/98 4:09:50 AM, jbishop01@foxinternet.net wrote:

<< I saw the message on the Vanagon list and couldn't help be reminded of my '81 Subaru Wagon 4wd with a tranny that sounds similar to what you describe: I'd have to put it in first right when I stopped, otherwise it wouldn't go in. It would lock up into reverse and I'd either have to shut the engine off and get it out of gear or sometimes I could lug the engine down with the brake on and slide it out of gear at the right time. It was all very frustrating, but since I didn't have the money nor the motivation to fix the old car, I learned to live with it. The thing still runs today with 180k+ miles.

I don't really know exactly what causes this but I think it's the syncro-mesh in the tranny that is worn out. It could also be a clutch problem. I'm sure people will give you lots of input on the list. I just thought it was funny to hear someone with similar problems that I used to have!

The only suggestion that might be of use would be to shift into first gear at the same time you stop, so that you almost move the lever with the car. That might help you get into first without going through the other gears. The only disad is that you have to sit at a stoplight with the clutch down the whole time.

Good luck- Jarod '86 syncro gl>>

Thanks for the info: I did get a clutch job just a few months ago, so I don't think that's the problem? As I did mentioned before, when I am stoped and in neutral, I can't shift into 1st. It's like locked in the neutral position. After choosing the right words and shifting it into other gears like a maniac, only then will go into 1st. Sometimes I can go for days without that problem. I wonder if it could be a shifting linkage problem? It's just weird how it comes and go's. I also think that it started shortly after my clutch job, but I can't trust my memory it's been around for almost 50 years. That too has linkage problems. I'm now wondering if the shifting linkage could be off when they replaced the new clutch??? Well if I can't fix it, at least I got a good recommendation to use Dennis out on LI, NY. The only problem with that is that green stuff, which doesn't grow on trees. Have a good Thanksgiven every one! Dan 87 Syncro GL Westy 71 Bug Conv

[message/rfc822]