Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Nov 1998 14:19:59 -0500
From:         Michael Sullivan <sullivan@OPENMARKET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Power Mirror Conversion
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Dear Jon,

I have done this conversion and it is very easy -- if you obtain the whole door! Otherwise, you will need to weld in the mounting bolts and cut a whole in the exterior of your door for the wiring. Also be sure to carefully extract the wiring harness that runs between the two doors and the fuse panel (no cutting of wires necessary or suggested). Once you have all the pieces everything just bolts right in without incident. Be sure to have a Bentley on hand as the wiring diagrams are important.

Also note: I am assuming that the mirrors come from the same (or similar) year as the vehicle into which you are installing the power mirrors. If not, you could have quite a battle especially between 1981-1985 and 1986-1991 models!

Cheers,

MJS

At 10:45 AM 11/25/98 -0700, Jon B. Kanas wrote:

>Good Morning Listers,

>I am interested in converting my manual outside rear-view mirrors to

>remote, electric operation. Has anyone on the list done this? Any hints,

>suggestions or gotchas? Any suggestions for obtaining mirrors, wiring

>harness and switch?

>Thanks in advance for any forthcoming responses!!!

>Jon B Kanas

>Lockheed Martin

>Flight Systems Spacecraft Test Lab

>303-977-6354

>Boulder County Colorado:

>194249 sq Hectares surrounded by reality.

>Working hard to keep it this way

>1987 Syncro Westy; 90K mi

<bold>Michael J. Sullivan

</bold><italic>Director of Catalog Design

Open Market, Inc.

</italic>

phone: 781.359.7624

work: http://www.openmarket.com