Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:08:07 -0800
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Looking for a fog light switch kit - Any vendors have one?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Helmut Zeidler wrote:

> >Actually, the rear fog light is intended for the space which > >is used for brake light in North American Vanagons, and the > >empty place is intended to be the brakelight (or may be > >switched with what is now tail light--I think this is it). > >This would explain the "smaller bulb" notion. > > That's why I recodnized, that all Vanagon owns reflectors > in that place where the European fog lights are standard. > In Europe usually only the left tail light is equipped with > the fog light reflector. > > What is the usual European segment setup: > > Left assembly: > > Brake Tail Light Fog- > Turn Signal Backup light > > The tail light bulb is only 5 Watt, that why it is > smaller. Brake and foglight are same wattage and in > Europe they have to be separated by at least 10 cm > not to mix up brake and foglight. > > Helmut > '80 Vanagaudi

I find it somewhat strange that the US spec Vanagons have the brakelight in the place where European models have the rear fog, because there is a US spec Vanagon Westy ca. 1988-91 here in Arendal (Norway), it has both tail light and brake light under the turnsignal. I've spoken to the owner, he says he has never done anything to the taillights, and he has owned the Westy since it was new. My Caravelle doesn't even have fog lights in the rear, I've wired the fog light position to be brake lights, with tail lights under both turnsignal, where the brake light originally were, and under the back up light, which is the standard location for the tail light. This gives me two taillights, for more lighted area, and a bigger brake light area also. I don't have the reflectors in the rear fogs, either, but for brake lights, they are just fine.

PerL 88 Syncro

[text/html]