Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:26:14 -0500
From:         Mark Rokus <marokus@VOYAGER.NET>
Subject:      Re: heads leaking
Comments: To: Rick Ferguson <rfergus@RICHMOND.INFI.NET>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Rick I ran mine for 2 years with a leaky rear heater core and radiator (the heads had already been done with the JB Weld method) A little saw dust, and a close eye on water level will get you a long way. Keep an eye out for other leaks though. My close call was with the metal tube to the radiator near the engine. When it let go, it would have been catastrophic had I not caught it. In this condition, check immediately whenever the red light blinks. Most of the time its just low but that ignoring it that one time could be bad. After a while you will be able to tell when you are low from the gauge. So as not to scare you, the tube had been wet for a long time and I knew better. I don't know of any other area besides hoses that would fail that completely without warning, and that could be expected with any car. When the pipe completely rusted at the elbow, the sealant just wouldn't do it anymore. I could stick my finger through the bad section of pipe. Simple fix with a generic hose and a bit of extra pipe that I cut off when it blew. Seems to happen specifically at that elbow. The adjacent straight pipe looked perfect. In fact, that is where I robbed the piece to hook the generic hose back to the original. Just got a section of hose that would reach back to the good pipe after I cut an extra 3" out for the splice piece. Must be the right combination of heat and turbulence there. In case you think I'm Rube Gold berg's nephew, this happened along the side of the road on a long trip. Fixed it right there and it worked so well that I never re-did the patch. 3 hose clamps, 1 hose, a hacksaw and some antifreeze. Added plug for the JB Weld method... worked for over 100,000 miles on mine. When I did it, I went ahead and the bearings and rings also. Under $400.00 with me doing the work. The van now has over 200,000 on it and still doing good. Good luck Mark Rokus