Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 27 Nov 1998 14:21:24 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Repowering madness, is this workable?
Comments: To: Raimund Feussner <rfeussner@GMX.DE>
Comments: cc: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Ray said, "I haven't seen a mid-engine vanagon yet, but I saw a beetle with golf/rabbit engine in a VW magazine (anyone interested in photos?). I guess it would be possible in a vanagon, too. This would be much, much work and with the V6 TDI, the rear seat cannot be used, because the engine is too high."

I agree that the V6 TDI would be too tall to fit into under a Westy rear seat. I wasn't proposing that, even though Ray has shown us that the V6 can be rear mounted (http://kfz.freepage.de/rfeussner). I suggested considering two different motor/transaxle packages. I believe both of them would leave plenty of space for an essentially standard appearing Westy interior. Here's a rough guide. Measure how far a T3 Vanagon motor extends rearward from the rear axle center line. If it were installed as I proposed, it would extend the same distance forward. Height requirements are the same. Do you think either of them would spoil the Westy interior?

I believe the 4 cylinder 110 horse 5 speed package would fit in about the same space the 1.6 diesel would occupy if it were reversed. The inline (not V) 5 cylinder Audi motor is larger. Recent archive listings available at http://gerry.vanagon.com/archives/vanagon.html show an extensive discussion about how much extra height an Audi inline 5 cylinder motor would require in a Vanagon. This same discussion should apply equally to a mid-engine mounted Audi 140 hp TDI diesel. Maybe it would require another 1.5 inches, I don't know. Would raising the Westy body an inch or so on the suspension to gain a little more clearance and accommodate taller tires have many downsides aside from raising the center of gravity? I still think the functionality of the Camper interior could survive the needed changes without being seriously compromised.

No A6 140 hp 6 speed TDI Audi has been imported into the USA or Canada. Since I'm in the US, I can't easily measure the minimum distances needed to accommodate that motor compared to the axle center line. Relocating air cleaners and accessories are commonly required work in space limited repowering installations. If someone with access to one of those A6 Audis at a new or used car lot (England or europe) could measure one and post their findings here, that would be great information. Our universal reference point should be the axle center line.

I remember seeing a curved section of automotive sheet metal that was heavily ribbed like pickup truck floors to give it strength as it bent through a 90 degree corner. A salvage yard donor section like that could become a nice strong insulated engine cover. An inspection door for adding oil and checking oil level would allow easy fuel stop checks. I'd rather have exterior engine access. But interior access is a price shared by all designs which locate the engine between the front and rear axles. But in europe, these diesel TDI motors have developed an exceptionally low maintenance track record, unlike the the water boxer design. So the specter of living with mid-engine access should not be viewed as though a typical waterboxer motor would be under that cover.

Ray's closing comment was, "I cannot imagine how to shift manually when you are sitting in front of the engine and the tranny behind it." I haven't examined that design area yet. If anyone knows of an I-net drawing or illustration that can give some insights for thinking about how to make shifting linkage for the 6 speed transaxle, please post those URL addresses. I have some good sized universal, captured ball-end screw-on rod connectors. By passing a bolt through the hole in the captive ball, they provide two degrees of freedom while maintaining such tight clearances you can't even feel any slop. Shift linkage would have to be a fresh design, but I am confident it can be solved. Obviously it wouldn't be as simple as rerouting an automatic shifter cable. Some of those are like an over-grown flexible lawn mower throttle cable. Adopting one of those would be easy.

John