Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 1998 01:25:48 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@QUICKLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: My Vanagon: Trouble in Paradise ?
Comments: To: YauMan Chan <YauMan@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Comments: cc: Vanagon <Vanagon@VANAGON.COM>

-- [ From: John Rodgers * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

YauMan, you need to give the exhause system the "Crunch" test. Water and acids produced by the combustions products will eventually eat away at the metal from the inside. The damage first starts to show up as pinholes. You sound as if you already know the exhaust system must be replaced, but test the general condition by taking a pair of channel lock pliers, open the jaws wide open, then in various places just go along and clamp the jaws of the pliers tightly on the pipes. If the material has been eaten away, burned away, corroded away, from the inside, the weakness will show up by tending to collapse under the power of the squeeze. Don't over do it. You should be able to feel it when it starts to give. Good metal won't give.

Luck,

John Rodgers '88 GL Driver in Alabama -------- REPLY, Original message follows --------