Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 23 Nov 1998 07:12:11 EST
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      Audi Trannies running in reverse again?
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

OK we have discussed this thread several times here on the List and here is how it always goes: 1st Person, "I wonder if this will work" 2nd Person, "don't forget the transmission will be going in reverse" 3rd Person, "Oh yeah, I wonder if I could use a quattro one on my Syncro Vanagon" Anyway usually after a bunch of speculation and no solid facts the thread dies. So the last time this came up I went to our local yard to see if the audi trannies were similar to ours in our Vanagons. Not even close. They are set up to mate to either a 4cylinder inline motor (Audi 4000) or a 5 cylinder (Audi 5000). They don't have removeable bellhousings like Vanagon trannies (at least I couldn't see that they did and I was really looking). The linkage is all wrong and the case does not resemble a Vanagon transmission at all. Conclusion: Could you get one and make it work? Possibly at great expense and who knows about reliability. There would be alot of mods necessary to get this idea to work. So check this out for yourselves. Don't just sit around and speculate about it. If I am wrong and this is somehow more feasible then please correct me. But if it is not a viable idea then why do we have to keep bringing it up and talking about it for a while and then dropping the idea? We are just chasing our tails and the bandwidth could be put to better use I think. Ken Wilford (as he dons he flame retardant underwear...) Van-Again John 3:16