Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1998, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Nov 1998 23:49:59 -0600
From:         "Edmund A. Hintz" <ed@HINTZ.ORG>
Subject:      My bus is gone
Comments: To: type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com, vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu
Comments: cc: veeduber@aol.com, Sarah Jane Robertson
          <srobert3@acad.stedwards.edu>,
          dagnyt@Debate.lover.org, BobwIngram@aol.com, Chris Hester
          <chester@acad.stedwards.edu>,
          Craig McKibben <McKibben#m#_Craig*@msgate.apple.com>,
          bobhintz@sdsc.edu, Darryl Evey <dj4now@aol.com>,
          Ethan Lowry <Lowry#m#_Ethan*@msgate.apple.com>,
          Garrett Kline <Kline#m#_Garrett*@msgate.apple.com>,
          sm316@ix.netcom.com, jojotdfb@mail.utexas.edu, Tutu4EnH@aol.com

I'm a little sad right now; I just watched my bus drive away without me.

She's been a good bus to us. We rescued her from an impound yard in Los Angeles, in January of '94. The dreaded PO was the usual dastardly type, doing various irresponsible things to disfigure the poor girl. We bought her for $150, with a rod thrown through the #3 cylinder and case. She had bondo over about 80% of her body, an AMC ignition switch shoved into the dash, an aftermarket switch controlling the lights (slowly melting since it wasn't electrically up to the task), and a Ford sedan rear view mirror bolted to the drivers side door with sheet metal screws. They'd raped her, used her, and left her for dead on the side of the road.

We came of age together. I slowly healed most of her abuse, and she taught me patience, tolerance, and the magical art of the internal combustion engine. In short, I was good to her, doing everything I could to return her to her former mechanical glory, and she responded in kind, bearing Samantha and myself where we needed to go.

I left California to attend school at the University of Texas at Austin in August of '94. Everything I owned, including my pet snake and cat Tosca, were in that bus. Tosca didn't care much for road trips at first, and let me know by having a nice case of diarrhea about 50 miles out of LA. I cleaned him up, and on we went. The bus took us all the way to Austin, with no complaints, just an example of her excellent mechanical servitude, which was to continue up to this day.

She went on a 12,000 mile journey from Austin to Inuvik and back (documented at <http://www.hintz.org/trip/>), and her only complaint was up on the Dempster highway, after 200 miles of rough dirt road. True to her nature, a small amount of attention allowed our trip to continue unhindered.

Our first son, Hunter Leroy Hintz (<http://www.hintz.org/hunter/>), came home from the hospital in style. His first ever ride was in our '70 bus, which also bore Sam to the hospital to give birth.

And for every little victory of the past 5 years, she played a part, however small at times.

Tonight, a nice enough college fellow, by the name of David Van Winkle, purchased a piece of our family history. I wanted to keep her forever, as she was my first bus, but financial and living arrangements dictate we can have only one bus, and we're purchasing a '78 Westy from longtime friends in Los Angeles. I've shown Dave all her oddities, and I think he will be good to her, but it was still kind of hard to watch her drive down the street with him, knowing she's no longer my bus. So, all I have are fond memories, and a few photographs.

And Mr. Van Winkle has joined the ranks of bus owners, thinking just a little differently than the rest of the world. I hope she builds as many happy memories for him as she has for me.

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Tenor and Mac Techie * | * But I'm not the only one... <ed@hintz.org> * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, '70 Primered Transporter */ | \* And the world will live as one. '73 Super Beetle ***** Imagine." Web page: http://www.hintz.org ------------------------------------------------------------------------